Why become a member? ×

Potentially really stupid truss rod question...

Spike Vincent

I am familiar with truss rods and their adjustment,having recently aquired a couple of basses that have been in sheds for well over a decade,truss rod adjustment is obviously required.One of them is going ok,the other one ( an OLP stinkray) seems to have a will of it's own.So,my potentially stupid question is,does the fact that it's left handed alter which way the truss rod should be turned? Not something I have come across before.

Better to ask than doing a wrong thing with the neck, main part of Bass IMO. No differences on lefty instruments.

When you turn clockwise the trussrod screw you make your neck convex. You have to do that when your 20th to 24th frets are buzzing.

When you turn counterclockwise you make your neck concave and it fixes a buzz on 1st to 4th frets....

VERY IMPORTANT : when you turn a trussrod DON'T screw more than 1/2 turn a day.
Otherwise you may crack your neck.
In other words, let time to wood to slowly follow.
I learnt this from a famous luthier, i want to share it.

Keep on grooving :)

Edited by Emanew

[quote name='Emanew' timestamp='1347295147' post='1798963']
Better to ask than doing a wrong thing with the neck, main part of Bass IMO. No differences on lefty instruments.

When you turn clockwise the trussrod screw you make your neck convex. You have to do that when your 20th to 24th frets are buzzing.

When you turn counterclockwise you make your neck concave and it fixes a buzz on 1st to 4th frets....

[u][b]VERY IMPORTANT : when you turn a trussrod DON'T screw more than 1/2 turn a day.[/b][/u]
Otherwise you may crack your neck.
In other words, let time to wood to slowly follow.
I learnt this from a famous luthier, i want to share it.

Keep on grooving :)
[/quote]

I would only do 1/4 a day

[quote name='Spike Vincent' timestamp='1347439441' post='1800698']
That's what I stick to.I fully understand the truss rod process,it's just that this one seemed to be working backwards.
[/quote]

Like you, if i have a doubt i ask for advices around me.
I only wanted to share with BC fellows what i learnt . No aim to play the teacher :)

Your question was a good opportunity to write here what the luthier told me.

How is your lefty neck ?

Edited by Emanew

[quote name='lettsguitars' timestamp='1347530623' post='1801975']
All this 24 hr quarter turn stuff is bull. Especially on a natural finished neck. A good neck should move instantly with maybe slight adjustment later on.
[/quote]

Exactly, maybe unless it's a vintage instrument with a worn and abused truss rod or a real cheapy neck that would probably fail anyway sooner or later. Bass necks are tougher than you think, watch Fender testing their necks before assembly by bending them an astonishing amount about 2 minutes in:

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHdQLaoDOoU"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHdQLaoDOoU[/url]

[quote name='Fat Rich' timestamp='1347533039' post='1802004']
Exactly, maybe unless it's a vintage instrument with a worn and abused truss rod or a real cheapy neck that would probably fail anyway sooner or later. Bass necks are tougher than you think, watch Fender testing their necks before assembly by bending them an astonishing amount about 2 minutes in:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHdQLaoDOoU[/media]
[/quote]

Was that the actual 'Wayne's World' show?

All this 24 hr quarter turn stuff is bull. Especially on a natural finished neck. A good neck should move instantly with maybe slight adjustment later on.
[/quote]

Ok, I'd still be careful though all wood takes time to adjust

[quote name='Emanew' timestamp='1347493986' post='1801774']
I only wanted to share with BC fellows what i learnt . No aim to play the teacher :)

How is your lefty neck ?
[/quote]
[quote name='Emanew' timestamp='1347493986' post='1801774']

How is your lefty neck ?
[/quote]

Better.I think it took time for it to realise it wasn't in a shed any more.

[/quote]

Tons of bassists cracked their necks by claiming this argument.
What do this test prove ? Short and long mechanical requests are completly differents.

Keep on being rude and don't change a thing.
A luthier who saw hundred of broken necks and their conceited bassists must be wrong...

Edited by Emanew