Why become a member? ×

Bass guitars for kids

Chris Horton

Chris,

Not sure how small/age group you're looking for, but I bought my Son a Westfield Precision for his 6th birthday, see below. He's 11 now, and still uses it, and they're still made, it cost about £80, along with a used Ashdown perfect 10 combo, was ideal as a starter bass. It came with a strap, lead, DVD tutor, and a little battery amplifier, great value for £80. They did it in black, white or red. I can try and track down where i got it from if you're interested.

Thanks fo All of the great suggestions so far.
I have been educated with basses I have never seen Before!

I should have posted this earlier,.........
A bit of info which may help the search and pinpoint a suitable bass.

My son Samuel is nearly 5. He has cerebral palsy and loves playing music with his Dad :)
Due to his ceribal palsy Samuels arms , hands and finger movements are restricted and are very stiff.
I am looking for a bass that is light, short neck and very tight string spacing with a small body to allow Sam to access the neck and fretts.

I don't want much really ;)

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1347446493' post='1800823']
How small?

If you want smaller than 30" short-scale, have a look at the travel basses from[url=http://www.fernandes.co.jp/products/zo.html]Fernandes[/url]. The Pie-Zo (also known as the Nomad in the US) is only 25½" scale and has a built-in amp and speaker. Pignose used to do one too, but it's not currently listed on their web site, although if you may be able to find a second had one.

I have the HK version of the Pie-Zo. It's a very playable instrument:

[IMG]http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n249/BigRedX/DSC03107.jpg[/IMG]
[/quote]

Samuel would love this!

[quote name='mart' timestamp='1347346290' post='1799496']
I got my son the very short scale Harley Benton off Thomann, for the princely sum of £60. For the money it's absolutely fantastic.

Incidentally, it's also got an FSC sticker on it, which made me laugh when Warwick introduced an FSC bass and charged megabucks because of its certification.
[/quote]

Glad to hear this - I just bought my 10 year old daughter this bass (the value package actually with amp, lead and strap) for £70. It's not arrived yet, though ;)

[quote name='Scanbran' timestamp='1347543407' post='1802199']

Glad to hear this - I just bought my 10 year old daughter this bass (the value package actually with amp, lead and strap) for £70. It's not arrived yet, though ;)
[/quote]
To be fair I did spend a bit of time setting it up (including shimming the neck) to get the best action, but it was playable out of the box, and well worth the money.