Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

kick drum, sound check & db's.

bigash

[size=4]After reading on here recently about soundchecking, somebody said to get the bass[/size]

[size=4]level with the kick drum and the guitar to be on level with the snare.[/size]

[size=4]So this is what i thought i would try and do, and would like to know if it makes sense.[/size]

[size=4]I have downloaded a db meter to my phone, and will get the bass and guitar levels in [/size]

[size=4]line with the drums.[/size]

[size=4]However i will need a reference point for the kick drum level against the snare. What is [/size]

[size=4]an approximate level of kick compared to the snare? [ in db's][/size]

[size=4]After these levels are set, it's just a case of sitting the vocals on top of everything.[/size]

[size=4]This will stop the ' im not loud enough, your to loud' arguement, usually started by our guitarist.[/size]

[size=4]This should make soundchecking quick and easy.[/size]

[size=4]So do you think this is possible, or am i just a gibbering idiot?[/size]

[size=4]Cheers Ash.[/size]

[size=4] [/size]

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1346801656' post='1793551']
DB needs a weighting. And frequencies effect the meters differently.
[/quote]So 90db snare wont be the same as a 90db kick?
is there any way round this. Would it be best to just do it by ear then?

IMO you should listen for the mix you want then reduce the FOH faders if your meter tells you that you run the risk of hurting peoples' ears (or contravening regulations). For example, I've noticed when mixing tracks at home that measured amplitude tells you very little - an electric guitar solo can still sound too loud and not sit nicely in the mix even when the bar meters for its channel are several dB lower than the other instruments: if I were mixing just by looking at the bar meters I'd get it hopelessly wrong.

Usually (smallish gigs)...

Get the vocals as loud as you can without feedback, that's your reference point. Everything else together shouldn't be louder than vocals.

At this point I usually get the band (no vocalist) to play bringing each part up gradually (but not worrying about EQ) until the band sound good together.

Then ask for one more number, this time with vocalist. First bring the band up to sit well with the vocalist. Then start twiddling EQ to make the band sound good as a unit. By the end of the track you should be done.

To be honest this is my "long" sound check.

I have done band soundchecks in under 30secs when needed and only ever struggled in venues where I can't get the vocals louder than acoustic drums without feedback :)