Why become a member? ×

Fuzz on top of OD/Dist is sweet

DiMarco

Seriously...

I was in AWE when hooking up and kicking both the MXR M80 and EHX bass big muff after having tweaked it some to work well together...
Organic, alive and oozing atmosphere. No loss of low end, tons of feedback (the good kind) and endless sustain.

Anyone else noticed a fuzz pedal suddenly falls into place when you feed it with a little bit of distortion?

Presumably you'd plugged in the output of one straight in to the other in a series chain?

Just to mix it up a bit try this if you have a mixer or way of mixing two signals together. This will give you the distortion and fuzz in parallel with each other AND a clean signal throughout. It should, with a bit of tweaking sound pretty rich!

Bass > M80 input

M80 output > mixer channel input 1

M80 parallel output > input of fuzz

Output of fuzz > mixer channel input 2

mixer output > bass amp.

You can use a boss ls-2 pedal as a mixer too. Set both input levels flat as well as any EQ to start with. The blend on the m80 to 50% when using the drive channel.

Have fun!

Depends on the units. I use an M80 for my grind tone so the distortion is always ticking over. I've an M181 Blowtorch before it and another after it in the chain and both sound better IMO with the M80 on. However I've also got a Wooly Mammoth after the M80 and it sounds muck at all setting when the distortion is on.