Why become a member? ×

Thumb Rest/Tug Bar

Pow_22

Im looking to fir a thumbrest on my incoming CIJ 70's RI P bass. I want to fit it in the thumbrest position rather than tugbar (i.e i want it next to the E string rather than under the G. I see that the genuines fender ones come with a template for exact location rather than me rely on internet pictures of genuine fender pics. Does anyone know of the measurements or anywhere online wher i can download a template at all?

Also whilst on the subject of P Bass hardware....i have a Jap P bass incoming that has the pickguard pre-drilled to take a chrome pup cover. I assume all fenders (USA, Jap, Mex etc) use the same measurements? I mean if i buy a Genuine fender pup cover it should fit the pre-exisiting holes or are there USA covers, Jap Covers etc?

Pow, I've had a quick look for you regarding a template for the thumb rest - didn't see one. General advice out there on the internet is to just it in a place that's comfortable for you. E.g. tape it down and try out a position or two.

Regarding the covers, I'm not sure. Even if they WERE all meant to be the same size, Fender is notorious for having wide variations in their measurements from model to model - my advice would be to measure the predrilled holes and make sure you find a metal cover with a similar width.

This pic of a 75 P shows the correct 70s tug bar position:

[attachment=116911:75 P bass.jpg]

This one (a 73) shows positioning of the screwholes in the pickguard:

[attachment=116910:73 P bass.jpg]

Edited by ikay

Or - get a single hole thumb rest from Guy Lewis & use the existing hole on the top edge of pick guard, no extra holes to drill :) That's what I do, it's the perfect position for me, all my P's have one fitted in the exact same place & of course you can change back with no holes left. You can see one in the picture of my red HW1. Big + they're a thousand times nicer than a Fender plastic one B)

Cheerz, John

Edited by KiOgon