Why become a member? ×

PA Speakers

spinynorman

We're looking for a pair of 12" passive PA speakers. I've got a reasonable idea about Yamaha and Mackie, but I'm also seeing Tapco and Warfdale. Never heard of Tapco, but the descriptions talk about "Mackie Designed" components. I remember Warfdale from hifi systems long ago, but I have no idea what they're like now, or whether they're any good for PA? So I wondered if anyone here had any experiece of those two companies, or failing that, indirect knowledge of them?

I've got a pair of Wharfedale Titan 12's (passive) that are fantastic. very light, reliable (so far) and pretty loud. They seem to have picked up scuffs quite easily but I don't transport them in their covers, and their used at one to three gigs each week. We even put the kick drum through them at smaller vgigs, and supplement them with subs for bigger gigs.

Tapco are a "budget brand" for Mackie. I'm not sure what that means in practice (possibly designed by Mackie, built in China but I'm just guessing). With the Mackie connection I'd be pretty confident using Tapco.

Wharfedale also make good no-nonsense gear. I doubt there's any real connection with the old hi-fi company but they've been around in PA for a good few years now and I've never read a bad word about them. I have powered monitor from them which has worked perfectly for me.

I think you'd be safe with both of these brands.

Also worth noting that Mackie bought out RCF a few years ago, who used to make quality speakers and drivers.

Most of the recent Mackie speakers were actually re-badged RCF ones.

If the Tapco stuff has their input, hopefully it will be good.

Thanks. I'm amazed at the difference in prices if you shop around on the web and it makes the choice very confusing. For example, we've found Mackie C300z for £750 a pair, which is way off our budget, but now we've turned up a place offering them at £199 each. Compared to Tapco 6912, which we could get for £240 a pair, or Wharfedale Titans at £250, are the Mackies worth it?

Are the Mackies worth it ?

Difficult question. They are very robust, very good quality and have almost become something of an "industry standard" if such a thing exists. They should also hold their value well as the brand name is well known.

Never done an A/B test on these other speakers, though.

p.s. just noticed your username and avatar.......DINSDALE !

[quote name='spinynorman' post='189665' date='May 1 2008, 12:44 PM']Thanks. I'm amazed at the difference in prices if you shop around on the web and it makes the choice very confusing. For example, we've found Mackie C300z for £750 a pair, which is way off our budget, but now we've turned up a place offering them at £199 each. Compared to Tapco 6912, which we could get for £240 a pair, or Wharfedale Titans at £250, are the Mackies worth it?[/quote]

Hi

I've got a [b]pair[/b] of Mackie C300Z's in perfect condition that I'm looking to sell for about [b]£250[/b] if you're interested, I can arrange delivery to Warwickshire for about £20 if required. The Mackies have never left my house, been used very little and are just over twelve months old (purchased new March 2007). They have the original instruction manual and even the stabilizing feet! Send me an email [email protected] and I can send photo's or answer any questions. Also have 2 x Samson Servo 300 amps to drive them as well, same condition.

Cheers...

Colin

Have a look at the Live Sound forum on soundonsound.com - quite a lot of PA speakers recommended there.

There's a few people over there who really like the Studiospares Fortissimo brand. Apparently they're the same speaker (Sound King) that gets rebranded as Carlsboro but for half their price.

You could always build some Bill Fitzmaurice OmniTop 12s if so inclined. I built an Omni10 bass cab and I'm going to go back to a passive PA using BFM cabs from our current DB technologies active system.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='thinman' post='195676' date='May 9 2008, 08:35 PM']and I'm going to go back to a passive PA using BFM cabs from our current DB technologies active system.[/quote]

I have a freind who's fairly serious about buying a DB active rig set up (about 2Kw), so i'm curious about why you're moving away from them. Should I be warning him off them for any reason?

Clive.

[quote name='Clive Thorne' post='210317' date='May 31 2008, 11:24 PM']I have a freind who's fairly serious about buying a DB active rig set up (about 2Kw), so i'm curious about why you're moving away from them. Should I be warning him off them for any reason?

Clive.[/quote]
I want to extend the system with some subs and that's going to work out quite pricey to go with the DB subs. Also, I think I made a mistake buying the 15" + 1" versions (Opera 405s) as I don't think the vocals cut through that well on them - should have bought the 12" or 10" versions really.

I think I can build a better and bigger BFM system (including second-hand power amps) for what I could get for the pair of 405s so it seemed like good sense financially.

OK, so it wasn't actually a probelem as such (except for the lack of vocal cut through), more a case of what's appropriate.

I'm not sure of the details, but the one he'se looking at has an active sub unit, an active midrange, and a passive high unit driven by the active mid range unit. All x 2 of course. I've heard this set up in action and I know that it sounded very good to me, but I thought you may have ahd reliabilty problems or something.

Thanks for your reply.

Clive.