Why become a member? ×

Marshall JMP guitar head for bass?

RyMed

Yo people.

I've just got myself a sweet sounding 1976 Marshall JMP 100 watt head (guitar), I've heard someone use one of these amps for bass through an AMPEG 8x10, sounded great.

My question is, is this advisable and would it be possible to do any damage whatsoever to the amp or cab for that matter thrashing my bass through it?
(the amp and cabs ohmage will be matched at 4 ohm by the way)

Cheers

Shouldn't cause any damage.

Follow the same advice that you should use with ANY amp/cab setup and use your ears to judge if everything is ok.

i.e. Start with the volume relatively low, bring up the volume slowly and listen. If you start to hear any unexpected distortion then simply back-off a little.

I used a 50 Watt JCM800 guitar head and 4x12 cab for over a year at practices and gigs before getting a "proper" bass rig and then handing the amp and cab over to our guitarist. No damage whatsoever.

[quote name='BOD2' post='188735' date='Apr 30 2008, 11:58 AM']Shouldn't cause any damage.

Follow the same advice that you should use with ANY amp/cab setup and use your ears to judge if everything is ok.

i.e. Start with the volume relatively low, bring up the volume slowly and listen. If you start to hear any unexpected distortion then simply back-off a little.

I used a 50 Watt JCM800 guitar head and 4x12 cab for over a year at practices and gigs before getting a "proper" bass rig and then handing the amp and cab over to our guitarist. No damage whatsoever.[/quote]

Yeah - I used to borrow a 100w Hiwatt guitar amp. Was fantastic.

[quote name='bigjohn' post='188748' date='Apr 30 2008, 12:19 PM']Yeah - I used to borrow a 100w Hiwatt guitar amp. Was fantastic.[/quote]

I had one of them back when I was a guitard only type - found it in the local freeads for not much at all. Sounded awesome but this was in the days before the internet so I had no idea what it was worth. Sold it to our bands bass player for what I paid for it when I decided to get a rack setup instead. Biggest mistake I ever made... never played through anything since that sounded so good, and it'd cost me ten times as much to get another one. :)

You'll be fine, it's nigh on impossible to actually damage electronic equipment by playing a bass through them, the only thing you might notice is a loss in some bottom end because guitar amps/pedals etc. sometimes aren't designed to pass all the bottom frequencies through, 'cos they're not necessarily needed for guitar. It doesn't mean you won't like the end results, it's just something to be aware of.

It's only mechanical devices such as speaker cones that need care. You're using a bass cab so you're fine, whereas a guitar cab would suffer at prolonged high volumes. This is because bass frequencies need the cones to move back and forth by a huge amount compared to guitar speakers and either the rubber surround linking the outer edge of the cone to the frame will fail or the voice coil will overheat and fail.

Hi, I used to use an allegedly ex-Motorhead 1978 JMP100 guitar head, through a black-face early 80's, 8ohm if i recall, Fender 2x15 and it sounded sweet (until the speakers went kaput - age and all that...) !

Go for it !

[quote name='mxm' post='189135' date='Apr 30 2008, 07:17 PM']Hi, I used to use an allegedly ex-Motorhead 1978 JMP100 guitar head[/quote]
:) Blimey, was there anything left of it? That's like buying a used car that's been driven at top speed ten times round the earth by the Stig!

[quote name='Shaggy' post='190262' date='May 2 2008, 08:40 AM']:) Blimey, was there anything left of it? That's like buying a used car that's been driven at top speed ten times round the earth by the Stig![/quote]

Was in pretty good nick to be fair - probably one of many that passed through the man's hands !!! Tone-wise had great presence through a 2x15 - i do miss it !

Anyone seen the new ltd ed Marshall Lemmy heads ??!!! - [url="http://www.marshallamps.com/product.asp?productCode=1992LEM&pageType=OVERVIEW"]lemmy head[/url]