Why become a member? ×

String tension

Roland Rock

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1345982475' post='1783746']
I've read a lot about people not liking certain strings because of the high tension. I don't get it - why would you want floppy strings? The only reason I can hint of is bending, but otherwise, what is the advantage of lower tension?
[/quote]
I've read a lot about people not liking certain strings because of the low tension. I don't get it - why would you want to rigid strings?..........

Personally I like both. I like TI Jazz Flats (lower tension) and I like La Bella 760FS (higher tension). The lower tension requires a more delicate touch.

We all play various styles and have different techniques and preferences; one man’s meat is another man’s poison. Can’t get the `feel’ I want if the string tension is too great, and I do bend, but just for vibrato; there’s a whole new argument!

Yup, horses for courses! - There are times when I want to do ridiculous Jerry Donahue string bending, other times I want a rock solid string for fast pick work. It depends on what music I am playing.