Why become a member? ×

Jazz Bass on a budget (finally finished with pics) and Jazz Bass Mk 2 on even less of a budget!

DarkHeart

couple of things added today, tuners arrived (cheers psychoandy) and duly fitted and ive lined the control cavity with copper tape whether it needs it or not also ive fitted the strap buttons, still waiting for the danish oil to arrive but with any luck i could have it at least strung for my birthday on sunday as this is my prezzie to myself

[IMG]http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j186/jeffhop/SNV80221.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j186/jeffhop/SNV80220.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j186/jeffhop/SNV80222.jpg[/IMG]

just out of curiosity i attached the neck, stuck the pups bridge and control plate on just to see what it looked like, i like it, im hoping with a few more coats of oil it doesnt darken down too much but as its just the neutral colour i dont think it will as it almost matches the neck spot on, i could even be tempted to leave the scratchplate off, i screwed the bridge down last night and stuck a couple of strings on and was very impressed with the action without any fiddling with truss rods it was as good as anything ive got, i could easily be tempted to sell my Washburn for a decent set of pups! anyway i bet your all getting bored with all the pics and posts so heres another pic ;)

[IMG]http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j186/jeffhop/SNV80224.jpg[/IMG]

i got it off ebay for 20 quid it was covered in about half an inch of grey primer! supposedly swamp ash its nice and light with a nice grain, it matches the neck bought off bc member rapscallion a treat, its definitely a keeper as ive always wanted a jazz but i think once its up and running the budget part of the title might get removed as im hoping it warrants better pups and pots! i think i might get a headstock decal of `Faker Jeff Bass` made as youve guessed it my names Jeff :D

[quote name='DarkHeart' timestamp='1347048174' post='1796518']
i got it off ebay for 20 quid it was covered in about half an inch of grey primer! supposedly swamp ash its nice and light with a nice grain, it matches the neck bought off bc member rapscallion a treat, its definitely a keeper as ive always wanted a jazz but i think once its up and running the budget part of the title might get removed as im hoping it warrants better pups and pots! i think i might get a headstock decal of `Faker Jeff Bass` made as youve guessed it my names Jeff :D
[/quote]

that's amazing!!! and only £20??

IT has such a beautiful grain, and nice routing for the neck pickup so you can use it without pickguard... I have been wanting something like that for a while, but never saw anything, and when it's painted you never know what you will find underneath!

I'm glad you will leave it natural. Natural and maple... if you ever want to let it go talk to me! :lol:

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1347049405' post='1796544']
that's amazing!!! and only £20??

IT has such a beautiful grain, and nice routing for the neck pickup so you can use it without pickguard... I have been wanting something like that for a while, but never saw anything, and when it's painted you never know what you will find underneath!

I'm glad you will leave it natural. Natural and maple... if you ever want to let it go talk to me! :lol:
[/quote]

+1 (well not the talking to me first bit, Jose would kill me!)

Looking good! :sun_bespectacled:

If you sand that down a bit before wiping & sanding in your next coat, it should only darken the grain a little (the lighter parts will remain that same colour).
It's only when you start to get so far that the whole lot starts to darken. Saying that, it does depend on what oil you're using. I used Danish with no tint.

once you're happy with the colour, leave it for a week or so to dry properly & then give it a coat of beeswax paste, leave for an hour or so & then buff it (or if you feel it needs more oil, sand it & oil). Leave for another couple of days & then add another coat of wax.

If you want to, you could also oil that neck. It's probably already oiled to stop the grain coming apart.

ok call me mr impatient :) but after 3 coatings of oil i decided i liked the colour as it matched the neck so ive waxed it, built it, played it, now im going to wax it again and leave it alone for a few days to sort itself out. it definately needs a better control panel as the volume pots seem all over the place and i will probably treat it to better pickups purely on the fact that it plays great and in my opinion looks great as well. im quite chuffed with it if im honest! :D
its gone from this,

[IMG]http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j186/jeffhop/SNV80190.jpg[/IMG]

to this in 3 weeks.

Edited by DarkHeart

thanks for the kind comments, ive no idea what kind of neck it is as it was bought 2nd hand off here but its really nice, it definitely needs new pots as even though these are new they work backwards and only really make a difference at the last 1/4 of a turn. the neck pickup is fairly meaty but the bridge pickup is a bit thin (its off my washburn) so i will probably buy a new bridge pup and pots or there are some emg pups for sale on here that i might inquire about. main thing is everything works and its playable.

yes i have had that problem with pots before. it isn't necessarily a fault with the pot. your pots are actually probably fine. try some contact cleaner. also, what resistance are they? 500? i'm not an expert by any means, but it sounds like you should have a taper pot. just what i have found from my personal trail and error. hang onto the pots you take out of it :)