Why become a member? ×

Who was the bass player on Jackson 5's I'll Be There?

pobrien_ie

By way of background..... at the start of the year, on New Year’s Eve actually, while playing some monotonous classic rock song at a pub gig, in my head I made a resolution to learn all the classic bass lines. I’d actually planned to learn 365 or one per day in 2012, but due to that being a mammoth task for me and the pressures of life etc., I’m only at around the 100 mark.

Anyway, I’ve been a little OCD about this and have put all the details on to a spreadsheet to track my progress :( I’ve managed to find the details of the bass players on almost all of the songs I’ve learnt, but can’t find anything on who played this. Jamerson’s name is bandied around a bit, but it’s not on any of his fan websites or discographies, so I’ve pretty much ruled him out. Wilton Felder’s name is also mentioned, as he played on I Want You Back and ABC, but most evidence I find suggests it’s not him.

I think it’s such a great understated bass line, so to save me from going mad, does anyone have any information on this?

[quote name='Protium' timestamp='1346340480' post='1788061']
Carol Kaye
[/quote]

It's not on her list of credits on her website, credible and all as that is (sense my sarcasm and look at my avatar ;))....so nope, don't think it was her on that occasion either!!

[quote name='Bassman Steve' timestamp='1346340829' post='1788067']
The only other name I can throw in would be the late Bob Babbit.
[/quote]

Can't find anything to suggest Babbit either.

What surprises me about this is, in IMO, it's such a great bassline, you'd imagine people (well..ahem...certain people anyway) would be queuing up take the credit!