Why become a member? ×

You're All I Need To Get By - Aretha version. Who played bass?

4 Strings

It's something that record companies do to boost potential sales ; it means that existing fans have to buy music they mostly already have if they want to access the new tracks, and the new tracks can be promoted and often released as singles to publicise the album.
On a side note, one of the other new tracks on Arethas Greatest Hits was Spanish Harlem, which is notable in that it seems to be a very early example of Chuck slapping on a record. It can be a bit hard to make out because he's using flatwounds and is a bit low in the mix , but on a good system i think you can hear him slapping a bit on some of the verses :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuT8gA9KT6I

I'ts pretty subtle; Chuck has his own slap style that he was developing around this time, supposedly completly independant of Larry Grahams influence.Try listening around the 1:00 mark ( he's slapping only , as opposed to slapping and popping ) . I know it's hard to make out , partially because his part combines rhythmically with the drums and also because he is using flatwound strings . But to me, it sounds as if Chuck is slapping a bit.

Edited by Dingus

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1345742941' post='1781179']
I'ts pretty subtle; Chuck has his own slap style that he was developing around this time, supposedly completly independant of Larry Grahams influence.Try listening around the 1:00 mark ( he's slapping only , as opposed to slapping and popping ) . I know it's hard to make out , partially because his part combines rhythmically with the drums and also because he is using flatwound strings . But to me, it sounds as if Chuck is slapping a bit.
[/quote]

Have a listen to the first few bass notes on You're all I Need too. Pretty slappy.