Why become a member? ×

Not shy, just a bit slow.....

redbandit599

Hi all

I've been a member for a while but have never got round to posting an intro. Bought a few effects though...

I've been playing bass for about 20 years, and used to gig a lot in the local pub circuit. I'm still in a 'band' with good friends, but with young families and weird shifts getting in the way, the occasional practice is about as good as it gets these days.

I'm a competent but pretty basic player. I'd like to advance but am beginning to think that I'm a bit 'theory dyslexic', I'm not thick, but no matter what I read it doesn't seem to sink in to any degree. At least not in any way that is actually useful anyway.

I've recently entered the world of effects and am enjoying making weird noises (as is my 3 year old daughter, who particularly enjoys a bit of Bass Synth Wah and Big Muff...)
Cheers all!

Jason

[quote name='redbandit599' timestamp='1345042842' post='1772770']
I'm a competent but pretty bass player. [/quote]

There really is no rule about that. I'm ugly as hell and even so really stink at playing bass. :) ;) B)

Hi Jason,

Thanks for the nice read. Remember that theory is nothing more than a reflection of shared experience. Normally, your ears will do the job as long as you're normally musical AND are willing to listen carefully to what your ears tell you, and respond to it by not accepting anything that sounds wrong to you. But yes, finding an alternative to what feels wrong can be a pain in the derrière.

best,
bert

Thanks for the welcome all.

Bert, you're not a journalist by any chance? Some 'creative' editing there! But, your theory comments make a lot of sense and ring true. Thanks!

I'm thinking I might start a thread in Effects along the lines of 'Which stomp boxes are the most fun with toddlers?'

Wonder if there's anything that causes a 'remote control dancing response' bit like getting cats to chase a laser pointer maybe...

[quote name='redbandit599' timestamp='1345061421' post='1773120']
Bert, you're not a journalist by any chance? Some 'creative' editing there!
[...]
I'm thinking I might start a thread in Effects along the lines of 'Which stomp boxes are the most fun with toddlers?'
[/quote]

Haha! Not a journalist, no. My professional live is divided between walking the dog and writing nonsense here. The creativeness was limited to reading your text wrongly, and wanting to share how I originally read it. :)
As to toddlers, IME they like anything that makes weird but not scary sounds immediately after they do something. Big Muff Pi through wide open pots into 810? Don't think so. But the rhythm box in an electronic organ? Beauty, when blended with whatever they press of different knobs and keys.
Which reminds me: I've got a lovely Technics U90 organ for sale. 12K quid and it's yours. Local pick up only! :P ;)

best,
bert

[quote name='redbandit599' timestamp='1345042842' post='1772770']
I'd like to advance but am beginning to think that I'm a bit 'theory dyslexic', I'm not thick, but no matter what I read it doesn't seem to sink in to any degree. At least not in any way that is actually useful anyway.
[/quote]

Welcome Jason!

I'm exactly the same as you in regards to learning theory, but I'm reading the[size=4] [color=#000000][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][b]Popular Music Theory[/b] series of books and they have really helped me. [/font][/color][/size][url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Popular-Music-Theory-Grade-One/dp/1898466416/ref=pd_sim_b_6"]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Popular-Music-Theory-Grade-One/dp/1898466416/ref=pd_sim_b_6[/url] there are 8 grades and you can even take exams on them if you wish.

Can also relate to not having the time to gig due to young family, but i try to get them involved with learning about music etc.

Anyhow, have fun, this is a really great site made up with wonderful people and bags of knowledge.

Cheers