Why become a member? ×

NUDE WOMAN! (Combo needs a sister cab)

jaydentaku

Howdey

I bought a HK 115RBH ii Combo of a fellow chatter and its awesome. I am looking to increase its abilities, in terms of volume and headroom for a cleaner, louder sound.

I would love an RBH 4x10, but second hand they are circa 350 and my budget is only 150.

These RBH's use HK-bi amp technology and it would be nice to utilize this technology, but its not mandatory.

given it is a 1x15, what is the most ideal cab to go for? Another 15, 2.10 or a 4x10?

I play small and medium sized gigs, metal in drop C.

I keep find ideal cabs, but they are far far away from the North East.

Edited by jaydentaku

I've never used GK gear but the logical choice would be the matching GK cab (Is it the 115RBH?) Unfortunately that's way outside your budget so you are left with looking at used cabs.

It's difficult to predict how a cab from another manufacturer is going to sound so I think it's a case of trying whatever you can pick up S/H and if you don't like it move it on. The advantage of buying used is you won't lose a lot on the deal if you have to sell it again.

I would suggest that you'll get better results with another 15 rather than 10s but some people will disagree with that. Ultimately it's how it sounds to you that matters and if it sounds good, it is good. There is no right or wrong, as long as it's 8 ohms and will handle a couple of hundred watts you should be ok.

If you can pick up a decent condition TE 1153 you won't be disappointed. Well within your budget and they are as good as any of the modern cabs in their price range.

EDIT: AFAIA no other cab manufacturer makes cabs that'll allow you to use the Bi-amp feature. Is the high amp 50W? If it is it 's not practical to buy a cab to just use in Bi-amp mode so you'll be better off just sticking another full range cab on the main output.

Edited by DirkThrust

Keep an eye on the hire companies; I posted this in another thread a while ago but (admittedly of only one sale) I would recommend for eg. John Henry's of London. [url="http://www.johnhenrys.com/"]http://www.johnhenrys.com/[/url]
I bought my Marshall 2 x 15" off them for £75 delivered; only thing wrong with it was their name & codes being stencilled on the sides.
As they say themselves, their stock is constantly changing.