Why become a member? ×

Logic behind your chain?

Oscar South

[quote name='Oscar South' post='194372' date='May 8 2008, 03:54 AM']Interesting to see that a few people run their comp after distortion, I read or was told a while back that its much less effective that way as its much harder to compress a distorted signal than a clean one (something to do with all the extra overtones the distortion creates or something).[/quote]

I wouldn't know about overtones but...

If you distort a signal, you are clipping the peaks. This is basically a really harsh form of limiting, so (depending on your amount of OD/fuzz) you loose a lot of your dynamic range, which is quite like using a compressor or limiter. Distortion before compression means that your playing dynamics can still fully react with the dirt pedal, while the compressor does whatever you've set it to do.

• 2 weeks later...

Just re-wired my board yesterday:

Bass -> Tuner ->

Q-Tron
-> Direct Out -> Boss OC-2 -> EHX BMS -> Return A on an LS-2
-> Effect Out -> Bassballs -> MXR Blowtorch -> IN on the LS-2

Loop B on the LS-2's got a Big Muff in it.

It means I can't add distortion to the OC-2 or BMS, but they both sound better without it anyway. I did it this way mainly so I could give my filters and octave generators the same clean bass sound to work with.

Out the other side of the LS-2 there's a crappy old DOD gate that needs replacing, a Boss chorus, Echo Park delay, and an LMB-3 that I don't switch on much.

Edited by thisnameistaken

Keeley 2 Knob Compresser---crystal clear. very transparent.

SansAmp---gritty highs, great overall tone

ElectroniX MessFuzz---mean sounding fuzz with killer low end.

MXR Smart Gate---for my sanity

I recently bought an EBS Unichorus, not sure where to put in yet. Or if i even like it

I've tried a few different combinations, even putting the comp last. This is the way it sounds the best to me.

ok....here's mine...

bass >>

boss tu-2 >>

fulltone bass driver 2 mosfet (set for a low-ish gain overdrive and a heavier overdrive boost setting) >>

red onion effects loop (to cut the tone-sucking boss delay out and also so i can turn the delay and the phaser on/off in one go) >>

boss dm-3 delay >> ehx small stone phaser (for general wierdness in between songs, and some sonic mangling at the end of the set) >>

mxr bass di + (clean channel set as a volume boost to drive my ampeg a bit and to fight the guitarists as they turn themselves up during the gig and the distorted channel in case i want to go OTT with the fulltone and the mxr's distortion)

[quote name='cheddatom' post='188781' date='Apr 30 2008, 01:12 PM']Is the EBS IQ a dynamic envelope follower? You should have that first if so IMHO

Do you not have the DD20 in a loop because of the way the delay decays when you turn off a patch (I don't know if it does this)? I bet someone could design you a box to put it in a loop so it wont suck your tone until it's on, but when you switch the loop off you still get the decay at the end.[/quote]

I think it depends on the effect you're after from these kind of pedals. The Bass IQ is very dynamic but if it's before my Deep Impact is makes it go nuts because i use the two together for big swooshing envelope effects (i have the envelope dial turned up to about 2 o'clock), I don't use them in a funky way at all [i]even though[/i] they are possibly two of the funkiest sounding effects out there! For shorter funky envelope tones I would probably have the IQ before the Deep Impact like you're suggesting.

That's an interesting idea about having the DD20 in my effects loop. If it ever gets to the point where I can't stand the tarnishing of the DD20 I'll look into this. Thanks for the suggestion :)