Why become a member? ×

New Build - Something from nothing.

scojack

After doing a bass for daughter number 1 last year, decided in fairness that I should do a bass for daughter number 2.
I wanted something really lightweight so decided to use some Spalted Beech acquired a while back (that i couldn't really find a use for TBH! Its not my wood of choice) , but this stuff is fairly solid with only a few soft spots here and there, consulted the 'customer' and its good to go. Perfect chance to try out a new offset shape too ...

Now I am not into the whole Tonewood thing but i felt that i needed to add some mass under the bridge, at the very least to give the bridge screws something more secure to be seated in. So a rummage in the scraps yielded a nice thick piece of Goncalo Alves (this stuff is hard as hell and very heavy). I routed a channel at the back and stuck it in. Routed a channel for pickups . Left me with what to do to hide the toneblock and the channel rout. Another rummage in the scraps and i had some leftover from a neck laminate. So this is what i came up with ....a kind of faux neck through arrangement at the back......

Came out better than i expected.
Finally after years I decided to bite the bullet once and for all make a template set for the control cavity and cover and got to try it out .....worked a treat !
Just got a few spots to fill and finish sand and its ready for the finish.

Ian

Edited by scojack

I like the one piece spalted body, The colours of the spalting will pop out great with a finish - looking forward to seeing it

I played a one piece very heavily spalted beech jazz bass a few years back and couldnt hear any difference to an ash body jazz.

Cheers Nugget...dunno might have an 'antique pine' look about it when its done, that said ...if you dim the lights, tilt it at 33.45 degrees and squint ....in places .....it does look a [b][i]bit[/i][/b] like Zebrano :D

Rubis..aye your right there ! But it's always a good excuse to disappear to the shed.