Why become a member? ×

Why do Rickenbackers have two inputs?

Spoonman

Hey

Ive just been checking out some Rickenbacker 4001s/4003s on the internet, and played one briefly a while back. But Ive always wondered why they had two inputs?

Probably a total n00b question, but I just never knew. If anyone could help me out I'd be grateful.

Cheers

[quote name='Spoonman' post='187560' date='Apr 28 2008, 08:34 PM']Hey

Ive just been checking out some Rickenbacker 4001s/4003s on the internet, and played one briefly a while back. But Ive always wondered why they had two inputs?

Probably a total n00b question, but I just never knew. If anyone could help me out I'd be grateful.

Cheers[/quote]

They don't, they have two outputs :huh:

Each pickup has it's own output, so you can take the bassy neck pickup to a bass amp, and the more trebly bridge pickup to a guitar amp. Or two bass amps... or whatever.....

Edit - although it should be clarified that what I've described is rick-o-sound and requires a Y lead. Guitars without rick-o-sound just have two outputs that do the same thing, rather than one that does the split and one mono

Double edit - i've probably confused this with that waffle :) The other guy said it better in less words....

Edited by thedarxide

Haha good point, they are indeed outputs...

That's really cool though, I did wonder whether they were separately for each pickup, like on Billy Sheehan's Attitude bass I believe. If only I had the rig to go with it....

Cheers for clearing that up though haha.

Two rigs would be the optimum way to go but it can be done with one amp if the amp has 2 channels that can run simultaneously. Or if not, it can still be done if it has an FX loop.

Take a stereo splitter (one that splits L & R into two separate output leads, rather than those which send L+R [b]combined[/b] to each output lead...). Plug it into the Ric-o-Sound and then:

[u]2-channel option[/u] plug one each into the 2 inputs (via f/x pedals if you want) and EQ and blend the two channels on the amp to taste

[u]FX loop[/u] Plug one lead (via f/x pedals) into the amp direct and plug the other via f/x pedals into the FX return. You'll probably need a booster of some type in this line e.g. a preamp pedal, to bring the signal up to line-level (F/X loops tend to run at Line level rather than instrument level). To blend the relative volumes of the direct-to-amp signal and the via-f/x-return signal, use the preamp pedal's volume control. It's simpler than I've probably made it sound.

On a small stage, like most pub venues, using a single amp actually makes more sense because you will hear the same blended sound that the audience (standing further away) will hear. Two rigs really only makes sense in a gigging situation when you can get further away from them - stand too close and you'd hear the different sounds from distinct sources making it weird to play and/or tweak mid-gig. At least that's what I've found. Also makes it easier for a sound man if you use one amp. Expecting him to blend two mic'd or DI'd rigs to your taste can be a bit hit and miss as they're often concentrating more on vocals and guitars than the finer points of our chosen instrument!

[quote name='stevebasshead' post='188084' date='Apr 29 2008, 02:53 PM']Also makes it easier for a sound man if you use one amp. Expecting him to blend two mic'd or DI'd rigs to your taste can be a bit hit and miss as they're *often* concentrating more on vocals and guitars than the finer points of our chosen instrument![/quote]

Novel use of the word 'often' there ;-)

I modified my Hohner B2V for dual outputs, years ago: I wired up each pickup (EMG 35P and -J) to an output, with only a volume control. The second output was a switching socket, so if it wasn't used, the second signal went straight to the first output. (Mixing two EMG pickup signals is achieved by simply ganging them together, they are already buffered to allow that without problems.)

However, the main reason for the change was for studio use: record both pickups, separately and as cleanly as possible, and mix them down later, adding effects if required. These days it still makes sense, computer recording tracks are 2-a-penny, and even if you mix them to mono later, you can still e.g. compress each pickup separately and control the balance.

Edited by bnt