Why become a member? ×

Anyone know what make model mesa speakers are?

Jimelliottbassist

Hi Jim, they list a few different ones like Black Shaddow, Scout and Emminence, but if it's the older ones you are talking about they did use E.V.15's. One of the older 1x15 cabs was an E.V. TL 606 you can down load those builders plans from the E.V. web site. There are different 15's from E.V. and as far as I know Mesa used the Proline 15 L, there is a 15 B which has a lower response curve but lacks the clarity of the 15 L. I don't know if these speakers are available new still.
I hope this helps, I'm not that familiar with there cabs so hopefully there will be more threads to help.

So far there's been 3 very short topics on the same theme in the past few days. I guess folk are waiting to hear (if they're waiting at all) what's so wrong with the stock speakers with it (I thought Mesa were one of the clique brands?) & what the OP is trying to achieve by it. There are a lot of knowledgeable folk on here, some may know the answer(s) but wouldn't want to guess. Yes, I've used/use Eminence, but as 15's so it's irrelevant.

I'm pretty sure that the Mesa Powerhouse speakers are a 'special' Eminence design to their specs, based on the Deltalite II but not identical (but maybe almost identicial). Similar to how Trace Elliot use 'special' Celestion speakers.

I may be entirely wrong but that is what I have been led to believe over the years. I can't say I've notice anything wrong whatsoever with the Mesa stock speakers have tried, apart from the price of the cabinets in general.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1344672050' post='1767732']
I would think weight would be the reason for wanting to swap out the originals.
[/quote]

Nope...

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/183687-choice-of-speaker/

I've no idea what Mesa use.

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1344705540' post='1768217']
Have you tried emailing Mesa? They might advise what commercially available drivers are similar. Let them know that the current ones aren't the stock drivers.
[/quote]

I'm pretty sure that Mesa will advise that the best speakers would be the own-brand Mesa speakers. Best bet might be to try the talkbass forum, as there are a lot more Mesa fans and players than here. Just do a very thorough search before starting a thread.