Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Paradigm Shift - Liquid Tension Experiment

wishface

Hello, I'm trying to learn the end run at the end of this song by the above band. It's not my favourite band in the world, but it has the god that is Tony Levin on bass and I have never heard him play fast runs like this before, so I've given myself the goal of trying to learn it.
The only tab I've found is here, but the fingering is very odd which makes me question it's accuracy. He plays it on the 4 string (at least according to youtube!). It's the final 16th note run at the end at some speed. Oddly I've been trying to find footage of Tony playing fast because for some reason I was curious to see just how fast he could play as he's one of my favourite bass players.
I'm not much of a tab follower: i always played along with bands/records not to learn the parts but to try and imagine my own by sort of copying what I heard and thinking of what I'd play. That plus I'm lazy.
Thanks.

I know he uses the stick a lot with LTE (you can't miss that sound), but I've watched them perform the song on youtube and he uses his fingers for this part. Perhaps TL is just that good (and why shouldn't he be, he's awesome). But the part is so fast I wonder if it's misheard by transcribers. Though tbh parts that are this quick just get lost in the low frequencies really!

[quote name='wishface' timestamp='1344077240' post='1759424']
I know he uses the stick a lot with LTE (you can't miss that sound), but I've watched them perform the song on youtube and he uses his fingers for this part. Perhaps TL is just that good.
[/quote]This seems very likely and he's just Mr Modest. Another reason I like him so much.

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1344084429' post='1759547']
This seems very likely and he's just Mr Modest. Another reason I like him so much.
[/quote]I was rather hoping it wasn't true - not because I want to believe TL sucks (he doesn't), but because I love the idea of great bass players not having to learn to play really fast! :D

[quote name='wishface' timestamp='1344096033' post='1759784']
I was rather hoping it wasn't true - not because I want to believe TL sucks (he doesn't), but because I love the idea of great bass players not having to learn to play really fast! :D
[/quote]Have you got a link to the vid you've seen, I've found 2 one with TL using Stick and one with him using Funk Fingers on his Barbie Ray5?

[quote name='wishface' timestamp='1344114472' post='1760113']
He is, which is always a treat, but not for the run at the end, which is what i'm referring to.
[/quote]Doh I should've gone to Specsavers (hang on I did, hmm I want a refund :) )

[quote name='Jellyfish' timestamp='1344154600' post='1760374']
Massive fan of LTE, and on that final run, doesn't he copy Petrucci? In which case, would it be at all possible to just transcribe the part from guitar tab if available? Just an idea. :)
[/quote]Probably but the question is whether that's actually what he is playing.