Why become a member? ×

Tc bg250 or Ibanez P3115 Bass Combo

cf5

Hello all,
Its time to buy a new bass combo, i play various styles from rock to jazz/funk. Im not to sure about getting something with less than a 15' speaker as im not sure if i can get the nesessary low end i crave for.
Would appreciate anyones comments/opinions on which bass combo to go for out of these?
Has anyone here got one of these? Would like to hear there opinion.
Thanks in advance

Both look good, TC has integral tuner, Ibanez slightly more power - on ratings, not necessarily by the ears though.

Another may be the EBS Session combos - both are reported to be amazingly powerful for their ratings, and the tone is stated as being good too.

Haven't tried the Ibanez, but my band's singer (who's also a member here) bought the BG250 recently and I've played last rehearsal through it. Quality piece of kit. Nice overall quality feel, effective EQ, certainly loud enough for most situations, good DI (we've been recording new song ideas). Didn't play with the TonePrint thingy, even without it's worth the price though. As stated above, EBS Session are really good (I've tried the 60W one a couple of years back) and I like the look, sound and general concept even more, but they look a bit expensive compared to the TC in power to price regard.

Just bit the bullet and gone for the TC BG250 combo delivered for just over £300

Just seems too good to be true but was offered a no quibble 7 day money back deal

As soon as it arrives ill get back with a review

• 3 months later...

[quote name='cf5' timestamp='1343752593' post='1754657']
Just bit the bullet and gone for the TC BG250 combo delivered for just over £300

Just seems too good to be true but was offered a no quibble 7 day money back deal

As soon as it arrives ill get back with a review
[/quote]

What do you think to it a few months on?

• 5 months later...

[quote name='tonyquipment' timestamp='1366754297' post='2057042']
Curious to know too!
[/quote]

Neither! Bite the bullet, pay a little more (about £100) and get yourself the new Markbass JB Players School, and you'll have nice rich, 15 inches of pure loveliness in a compact (50X50x50cm), lightweight and powerful amp.

I have enjoyed used the CMD151p combo for 4 years now and love it's versatility. This year I was helping on the MSL/Markbass stand at the London Bass Guitar Show (but I don't work for them, so I am not biased for any other reason than my enthusiasm for the brand!), and we had one of each of the choice of 4 combos.

All weekend I was able to test the quite unique character of each one of them, and asked anyone who came on the stand looking at a particular model to do exactly the same before making a decision which. It was quite surprising the high number of people who, initially inspired to look at the 121 (1 x 12") or the 210 (2 x 10"), went off thinking again about the merit of the quality and character of sound from 15 inches! They're all as compact as each other as makes no difference, so go for it!

So, what about the JB Players model? OK, well I had already made up my mind that, as it was MUCH cheaper than the 151p it wasn't going to be up to it. I was very wrong! There [i]are[/i] indeed some significant differences which make it cheaper, there would need to be, and they are, 1. It does not have an LM3 head, but the new Little Mark 250 Blackline. This is easily as good quality as the LM3, but it is just lower wattage, giving 150w as a combo (8 ohm) and 250w (4 ohm) if you add an expansion cab. 2. The speaker is not the usual Orange Neodymium jobby, but one with a standard magnet. 3. The cab construction feels a little thinner, but this makes it lighter than the 151P, and as it is only having to deal with 150w, not 300w, then this is not an issue.

It felt just as solid, and the performance and sound were every bit as good as the 151p. Quite frankly I am not sure what Markbass might have been thinking in branding it effectively as a "student" model, because I couldn't see any issues other than it is less powerful. I can fully understand why they would want to reinforce a differential to justify the uplift to the LM3 powered combo, but I cannot see this as a "budget" version, just a lower wattage choice at a lower price. Most people are selling it for around £425. It also makes a comfy seat, at perfect height, for rehearsals!

If you're ever in the moist south west, you're welcome to come and try my 151p out...