Why become a member? ×

Help!! cab advice please??

dodgnofski

Hi Guys, Being a retired old Fossil -(get the violins out), unfortunately I can't afford one of those wonderful small, lightweight cabs such as a Barefaced or Whizzy etc, etc - so I'm using a 'converted' Ashdown combo cab which has internal dimensions of 15" x 15" x 8" - deep. I've fitted a Celestion Neo Green Label 200w Neo 1 x 10" 8ohm speaker.

Does anyone know what diameter the two front ports should be to give optimum efficiency & bottom end?? All donations of advice gladly received - thanks??

Edited by dodgnofski

Thankyou for your response - it is appreciated

It's the BN200x - yes I have two ports which are currently 2" in diameter & so I wondered if they needed enlarging to match the uprated speaker??

[quote name='Balcro' timestamp='1343302406' post='1748517']
Hello dognofski,

Which Celestion Neo is it? The BN200x or the BN220S?

You already have 2 ports built in?

Balcro.
[/quote]

Thankyou, I would never have thought of that!

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1343305313' post='1748593']
With those round ports, you can roll up some card and make them telescopic and tune them by ear.
[/quote]

130mm x 2-inch ports will be close to optimum. As Mr Foxen says, roll up some cardboard to try it out. You don't really want the port diameter any bigger because that would make the ports rather long. If you get 'chuffing' at volume, get yourself some ports that are flared (preferably at both ends). That will help.

That cardboard idea sounds a simple but effective tuning aid as you've got a bit of flexibility with this driver. You'll find that as you shorten the length of the ports you will get a little more "warmth" to the sound. Not a lot, but a little. Starting at the port length of 130mm, try varying it down to 85mm. Good luck.

Balcro