Why become a member? ×

Galli strings

markytbass

I use the G77s on my semi acoustic Tacoma Thunderchief. Nearest thing that I've got to a double bass sound. Although it has decreased the unplugged volume compared to phospher bronze.

very smooth sound and very smooth on the fingers. Never tried them on an electric. About £18 from Stringbusters

• 6 months later...

[quote name='Gloria stits' post='186433' date='Apr 27 2008, 11:46 AM']I use the G77s on my semi acoustic Tacoma Thunderchief. Nearest thing that I've got to a double bass sound. Although it has decreased the unplugged volume compared to phospher bronze.

very smooth sound and very smooth on the fingers. Never tried them on an electric. About £18 from Stringbusters[/quote]

Realise this is an old thread but thought I'd add some more info. I fitted a set of G77s to my electric fretless last night and had a play through my V-Amp, and they sound very nice. The most balanced set of strings I've used, very finger friendly too! Was a bit worried when I opened the package because it says "acoustic electric bass strings" but they're definitely "acoustic/electric bass strings"

Will be giving them a bash through the amp on sunday so will know better, but even through headphones there was a nice double bass thump :)

Edited by Lifer

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='markytbass' post='186329' date='Apr 27 2008, 09:21 AM']Does anyone on here use them or tried them. Mainly interested in the black nylon tapewound set's.

Cheers[/quote]
Been using the nickel "Rock Star" (doh, what a name) ones for 2 years for electric fretless bass. Up to 30+ hard playing gigs per set at times compared to 10 gigs for other strings.

[quote name='mybass' post='344938' date='Dec 3 2008, 11:27 PM']Been using the nickel "Rock Star" (doh, what a name) ones for 2 years for electric fretless bass. Up to 30+ hard playing gigs per set at times compared to 10 gigs for other strings.[/quote]
Where do you source them from? I had one set given to me with a bass which were great but I haven't had much luck tracking them down in this country. I can find flats and tapewounds but no roundwounds. :)

EDIT:Found some on a Dutch site:http://www.lordofthestrings.com
£24 inc postage. Seems pretty reasonable.
I'll update the thread when I get them.

Edited by rayfw

• 2 years later...

I'd just like to share my recent experience of these...

I just got some of these Galli strings from The Gallery in Camden - £23 a set. Martin Petersen recommended them, and at the price I thought I'd give them a go.

[url="http://www.gallistrings.com/inglese/default.asp"]http://www.gallistri...ese/default.asp[/url]

I've used the nickel (Rock Star) and steel ones (Magic Sound) and they seem pretty nice so far. The nickel set feel a bit smoother under the fingers. Both sets are 45-65-85-105-125 long scale

What I like about them so far:

- they fit my 35" scale basses with no problem.
-the B string has a slight taper (probably down to the same gauge as the E) at the bridge end, which IMO is a good thing for a better string break over the saddle, and also allows the string to vibrate more freely.
- both my basses have very good B string tone and definition, and I don't think that has been lost by these strings. Some strings can, IME, can diminish the clarity on the B.
- even on the 35" scale, they aren't overly stiff.
- the steel strings are not overly bright, and the nickel strings are maybe brighter than some nickel strings I've tried.

YMMV blah blah!

It will be interesing to see how long they last. And lastly, they remind me quite a bit of DR strings for some reason, but cheaper!

Cheers
G

edited for typos...

Edited by Gwilym