Why become a member? ×

Tobias Pro 5 Sunburst £220 *SOLD*

Fender_Greg

I've come round to the idea of selling my 5-string. It's been a great bass and is really solidly built.
It was one of the first basses I owned after borrowing my brothers bass for a year or 2.

So, it's a Tobias Pro 5, bought from Music Yo when that was around, and I think it was when Gibson had recently got hold of them.
It's got:[list]
[*]A thru-neck build
[*]2x Active soap bar pickups
[*]Volume/Bass/Treble/Pan Controls
[*]Slim lacquered neck
[*]Fully adjustable bridge
[/list]
It's very solid and has survived for sometime. It's never had any electrical problems or hardware problems.
It does have the usual slight markings from playing in ares like the back and front. There is a very slight knock on the neck and head, also a crack of the lacquer behind the G tuning peg. This is not the wood cracking!

[attachment=114023:20120719_141040.jpg]
[attachment=114024:20120719_141051.jpg]
[attachment=114025:20120719_141112.jpg]
[attachment=114026:20120719_141230.jpg]
[attachment=114027:20120719_141237.jpg]
[attachment=114030:20120719_141332.jpg]

I truly believe this bass has the body build to last a lifetime! Bought it for about £400 and I'd like to get £220 for it now.

I'd rather not deal with couriers and stuff, I live in Guildford, Surrey and would gladly travel within reason for a pick up.

Cheers!

Edited by Fender_Greg

• 2 weeks later...

This is the kind of price range I'm looking at (in the market for a cheaper new/shand one) but as a sometime player from 25+ years ago just looking to get one to fool around on, what trouble am I going to have learning again with 5 strings? I had trouble with 4!

My hands aren't massive - surely you need to have hands like an ape to get round to the strings? Excuse my inexperience - you guys are playing with no problems I'm sure but I'd like to get something with decent quality as I don't want to spend £100 and then want to sell up within a few months cos I want something better ...

Sure looks a nice piece of kit anyway ... I'd love it. But would I be better getting back into playing with a four string first?

[quote name='Mick Kahn't' timestamp='1347630211' post='1803304']
I'd love it. But would I be better getting back into playing with a four string first?
[/quote]
Only you can decide . Many 5's have very thin necks, the difference being in the width of the fret board and if its tuned for low B the top 4 strings are the same. I must admit that my most comfortable bass is a 4 stringer but migrating to 5's isn't that hard.

The first question I would be asking is do I need 5 strings, if not stick to 4.

I haven't got big gangly bass man fingers either haha! This bass has quite a thin neck tho so the strings are relatively close compared to other 4's and even 5's.

But as Pinball said, do you need 5 if you are re-learning? It certainly is fun having that lower string but even more pleasing when you know how and where to use it.
Admittedly, I started off on this bass but went to 4-string and have only really just started using another 5-string lately, simply because I didn't feel the need for the 5th.

Easiest thing to do would be to learn a few lines and get to a music shop and just work out what feels comfortable in your hands.

I wouldn't stop buying it tho ;)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...