Why become a member? ×

Toe Dipping....and then maybe swimming

Missionary

Hi all,
I've just got myself a cheap DB....YAY. I was feeling a little nervous about posting anything here due to my preconceived ideas about DB snobbery. Anyhow, after reading many posts I realise that I was wrong. So, the question: I live in the middle of Norfolk - does anyone know someone who can set-up the aforesaid instrument local to me? At the moment the action is a little (!!!) high for my weak fingers so needs lowering and it sounds a bit muddy too. I want to move from dipping my toes into the world of DB to swimming in it. I may even post a piccy of it at some point......

I can't help you either I'm afraid, but I'll echo fumps' welcome. Also, regarding your DB's action in particular, the obvious question is, is the bridge one piece or adjustable through thumbscrews? Either case, do have a read through these threads on here:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/178028-actionheight-of-strings-on-44-double-bass-bridge-questions/"]http://basschat.co.u...idge-questions/[/url]

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/180451-adjusting-re-cutting-bridge-on-double-bass/"]http://basschat.co.u...on-double-bass/[/url]

and see if you feel like having a look around by yourself, even just out of curiosity, before you go to a luthier.

And by the way, you'll fall head over heels in love with your DB. There is no way back once you've been bitten! :D

Edited by bluejay

The action on a double bass is generally quite high in order to give the string plenty of room to vibrate. If it's set too low, the string will buzz against the fingerboard and can sound quite unpleasant in the lower posttions.
You may find a set of low tension strings to be a better option?
Get yourself on the Innovation string trail list (sticky at the top of the DB forum page) and try a set of Honeys or silver slaps.

Welcome aboard!

Hi Bluejay and thanks for the welcome and the links - looks pretty useful and i may well give it a go. Rev, the previous owner of the bass used it orchestrally so, as I understand it, the action can still be reduced a little for a have-a-go finger player like me and the idea of trying out some low tension strings sounds great - anything to make it easier to begin with.
Thanks for the welcome fumps :-)

Oh....one other thing - it is awesome. I am very much enjoying it

Do you know what strings are currently on it? Find out before you think about replacing them - swapping strings is a pricey business.

As for the height of the strings: If you stick a ruler against the end of the fingerboard and you find there's a 10mm-ish gap between the fingerboard and the E then maybe they could stand to come down a bit. If you don't have a ruler handy, try slipping your little finger under each string - if it's anything looser than a comfortable fit under the E then again you could probably do with a lower bridge.

Thanks for the advice thisnameistaken. I'm not in a hurry to change the strings as the ones on it are fairly new, I have been lead to believe, although I do not know what sort they are - they have a blue/gold(could be yellow)/blue silk wrap at the tail end and Green (E), Blue (A), Gold or yellow (D), Red (G) at the top. However, if I get the opportunity to try some others and they produce a more pleasing sound and are easier for me to learn with then maybe it is worth while me making the financial sacrifice.
Btw, I just checked the height of the E string and it is 16mm off the board.....

I don't know what those strings are despite quite a lot of experimentation myself(!) - I'm sure Rev can tell you. It might be that they're suitable for pizz but it depends what sort of sound you're after really, and how your bass feels after the inevitable setup. Report back!

That action is a bit high and yes you can probably improve it quite a bit and still get a good loud pizz sound. Sorry I can't recommend a luthier in your area (I'm in York) but ask for a quote for lowering it to a good pizz height and also a quote for fitting a new adjustable bridge - I know my local guy will supply and fit a good budget adjustable bridge for £150, so maybe that would be a good option with the height centered around 10mm on the E - that way you'll have plenty of available adjustment in both directions as you get used to the instrument.

Glad to hear you're enjoying it. It's such a fun instrument to bang a tune out of and there are so many opportunities for it that a bass guitar just wouldn't suit in the same way. Have fun broadening your gigging horizons man. :)

Well, I have found a guy fairly close to me - [url="http://www.ardviolins.co.uk/"]http://www.ardviolins.co.uk/[/url] and will report back as to how it goes when we meet on Friday. I do like the idea of an adjustable bridge, especially if I want to rub the bass against a horse to see what sound the horse makes in the future.....and gigging is something I'm looking forward to.

Welcome to the DB section and you'll not find any snobbery here because no matter how long we have had our basses there's still plenty to learn. Just a small piece of advice for you, I usually find that my string height is about right when I can slip my little finger between the G and the bottom of the fingerboard, slightly tight is about right. If you want to do a quick lower then slacken off the strings a bit (do this with the bass horizontal so the soundpost stays in place) and carefully slide the bridge about 12mm towards the tailpiece. Then tighten back up. Make sure the bridge stays upright during this process; you may have to give it a whack with the spine of a paperback book in the latter stages when the strings are getting tight. If you ever take the strings off for any reason do it two at a time to keep the soundpost in place and coat the groove in the bridge with graphite from a soft pencil.

Now, there may be howls of protest re the above advice because strictly speaking the bridge should always be centered about the notches in the f-holes. But I maintain that this method gives you a good temporary idea as to how the strings will sound/play with lower action before you consider an adjustable bridge or getting the bridge modified.

Good luck and enjoy your bass.