Why become a member? ×

Planet Waves guitar lead with compression springs

Has anyone used one of these, maybe for a while?
i'm a bit concerned that over time, the comprrssion springs on the barrel of the jack would force the internal parts of the guitars jack socket (or pedal jack socket) just that bit too far, so that if used with a normal lead it would be a bit loose giving a bit of a bad connection.

I got given one of these leads and its brand new, un opened. i just dont want to use something that could over time, cause problems.

[quote name='Rammstein2012' timestamp='1343079518' post='1745049']
i'm a bit concerned that over time, the comprrssion springs on the barrel of the jack would force the internal parts of the guitars jack socket (or pedal jack socket) just that bit too far, so that if used with a normal lead it would be a bit loose giving a bit of a bad connection.

I got given one of these leads and its brand new, un opened. i just dont want to use something that could over time, cause problems.
[/quote]

I've used these such cables for about 7 years with no problems at all, so you can take that as a recommendation of sorts.

I tried a few of these some years back but found that they pushed themselves out of the jack socket during a gig, so took them back and exchanged them for standard jack leads. I'd never use them again, I just prefer right angled jack plugs I don't have problems with those.

[quote name='Rammstein2012' timestamp='1343079518' post='1745049']

[/quote]

I've got one of the original ones that came with the colour coded rings and all that. 12 years later I cant fault it.

I've had the input socket on a Genz Benz amp damaged by one (the "official" reason for its failure was the use of said cable), and twice on stage have had sudden failures of Switchcraft sockets which looking back could possibly have been due to the cable. The bits inside were pushed out of place, so I for one would never use a PW cable in a live situation as its just not worth the risk. My friend has used the same cable though for 12 years and he swears by them...

Seen a Spector that had its barrel socket wrecked by persistent use of a PW or Minster 'oversized' plug, & they're dead awkward to replace. I also point the finger at oversize plugs as a contributory factor in the failure of my Superfly's input socket (the other factor being a spectacular bit of sh!t design by Ashdown).

IMO oversize/sprung plugs are a solution to a problem that doesn't exist - I've used 1/4" plugs from all sources for the last 30 years & never had one come adrift in normal use.

Pete.

• 2 weeks later...