Why become a member? ×

Advice on recommended Squier CV 60's Jazz upgrades please...

mashup

I just bought a used Squier CV 60's jazz from another Bass Chat member & it's being delivered on Wednesday. I've been rooting around some of the forums (Basschat, Talkbass etc.) & found threads on CV 60's Jazz upgrades & mods that players & owners have had done, but for some reason, i can't seem to find the links anymore...

Hence the post. I've read a few mixed reviews on the stock pickups, but largely they have been received very positively, so I'm not sure whether this is an area that i would upgrade...but what do you think? Would you/Have you upgraded the stock pickups & If so, what to & what difference did this make to the overall sound of this bass? Was it a worthwhile upgrade?

From what i remember of the threads i was reading the other day, the electronics would benefit from a complete upgrade up to Fender USA Jazz specs, replacing the tone & volume pots, caps, wiring & switch jack. Has anyone else done this? I can't seem to find a USA Jazz bass Re-Wire upgrade kit anywhere online. If this is something that you have done, again, is so, what did you use?

Are there any other upgrades that i should consider? Some players/owners mentioned changing the tuners but i doubt that this is something I'll do unless absolutely necessary

Any feedback & pointers from Squier CV 60's Jazz players & owners would be really appreciated,

Thanks

I think it is K1ingon or someone on here that will be able to sort you out a wiring loom if you so desire.

Why not wait till you get it? I've played a fair few in shops and never really thought anything was so bad I would *have* to upgrade. I prefer them over the MEX fenders for instance. If the thing holds tune then the tuners will be OK, if the volume turns up and down then probably that will be ok, if the tone pot works that will be ok- if it doesn't a new cap will cost about £0.06 to try out. and you may think the pickups do the job fine- of all of them if I had to upgrade they would be first I would do.

As far as the wiring goes, i'd go with Luke, wait and see how it feels and sounds. Ive seen many posts where people have upgraded the wiring and pots, its all nonsense IMO. Change it if its not working but dont bother just because others do. Some people like to put vintage wire in it, try and get it to be as authentic as possible, again, its not needed and really, its a Squier not a vintage instrument.
The wires are so short that changing them wont make any difference to the tone at all, and the pots on my two CV's are fine. In fact if anything i'd say they are smoother than the CTS pots i brought for my CVP (because one was damaged by me). I brought 6 in total and still didnt find one as smooth as the stock pots.
The wiring inside is pretty decent IME, although it cant hurt to check it all out to make sure its all secure.

Pickup wise, well yes, im of the opinion that different pups can really make this bass come alive. I felt the stock ones were perfectly usable, but didnt offer quite the Jazz tone i was after so i swapped them out for a set of Wizards.

Tuners? My basses travel to gigs in a practically un padded gig bag on my shoulder and still manages to be in tune when i take it out. Again, try them out first, and if they arent working properly then change them, but ive never felt the need.

Enjoy the bass for what it is, a very high quality, low priced gigging instrument.

I have one of these and it is a great bass, way better than the Mex Jazz I also had.
The best part is the neck, which is as close to a 60s Fender as I have played.
The electrics are fine IME, with no need to upgrade (unlike the MIM Fender).
The pick ups are ok and on a par with the MIM Fender, but they are not as powerful as my '63 Fender and not as flexible.
You need to play close to them or the sound weakens and they don't have the authority of a US Fender.
But they still sound fine and a good player will work within their limits and have no problem.
Replacing pick ups is probably the biggest upgrade you could do, but it's risky and I would stick with the originals before spending money that may end in disappointment.
The tuners are fine.

Hope this helps.
Steve.

I felt the stock pups (and the bass in general) has a warmer, soft-ish tone to it. Its hard to describe but my fav Jazz tone came from my HW-1/one basses and these had a more middy, brighter tone. Not quite as deep but they seemed to cut through a bit better.
The Wizards get me closer to the HW's, a bit more punch and upper mids, without sounding too bright. I actually started with Wizards 84's but found them a bit darker than i hoped for, so the 74's i have are in the middle of the 84's and the more vintage sounding 64's.
I still feel the bass has a deeper tone than my HW's but thats fine, i like how it sounds now.
I should add that i didnt really look around before getting the Wizards. I wanted to try them, and as they were pretty cheap i just went for them. I expect there are better out there (i'd love to try Fralins on this bass) but these do me for now. As its a cheap bass, and a back up i hardly use i dont want to spend too much on it.

If you do want to compare stock with the Wizards you're welcome to come and compare mine to yours.

Edited by dave_bass5

That's great Dave. Thanks a lot for sharing your experience with me & for the very kind offer of ABing. Just out of interest, what Fralin's do you think could work really well with this bass?

I was tempted to look into hum cancelling pickups but have read from player/users that the hum cancelling types of single coil pickups rob a fair bit of the single coil character away. Is this true in your experience?

They really are great basses for the money. Mine played and sounded fine the way it came, but I found myself wanting a bit more bottom end punch and definition so I swapped out the stock pickups for Wizard 84s and put a set of LaBella 760FS flats on. It sounds great - in fact on two occasions after gigs I've had other bassists on the same bill expressing disbelief that it's 'only' a Squier. Like the others say - play it and see what you think - you may be perfectly happy with it as it is.

[quote name='mashup' timestamp='1343053955' post='1744366']
That's great Dave. Thanks a lot for sharing your experience with me & for the very kind offer of ABing. Just out of interest, what Fralin's do you think could work really well with this bass?

I was tempted to look into hum cancelling pickups but have read from player/users that the hum cancelling types of single coil pickups rob a fair bit of the single coil character away. Is this true in your experience?
[/quote]

No problem, glad to help.

Ive no idea about the Fralins, just that ive always wanted to try a set. Ive had the P bass versions and they are very, very nice. The Jazz bass versions get good reviews but aren't cheap so i dont think ill ever get to try them on this bass.

The only experience ive had with hum cancelling jazz pups was a Nordstrand i had on my old Lakland DJ5. Cant say i noticed much difference (or liked it, before or after) but then it was after i had it modded to a PJ so both pups were changed.

I'd stick with normal pups if i was you, unless you really cant get the tone you want.

It's not a question of what pick ups will work well with this (or any) bass.
It's a question of what pick ups will suit you and we are all different in our tonal preferences.
There is nothing wrong with the stock pick ups and I wouldn't consider changing them before you've played the bass at a few gigs, never mind before you've even laid hands on it.
String choice and your fingers will have a much greater effect on the tone than the pick ups.
You really need to know exactly what is wrong with the tone before you try fixing it, otherwise you are just stabbing in the dark.

Wait until you've got the bass, set it up to suit you, play it a lot and see how you feel then.

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1343052323' post='1744328']
I felt the stock pups (and the bass in general) has a warmer, soft-ish tone to it. Its hard to describe but my fav Jazz tone came from my HW-1/one basses and these had a more middy, brighter tone. Not quite as deep but they seemed to cut through a bit better.
The Wizards get me closer to the HW's, a bit more punch and upper mids, without sounding too bright. I actually started with Wizards 84's but found them a bit darker than i hoped for, so the 74's i have are in the middle of the 84's and the more vintage sounding 64's.
I still feel the bass has a deeper tone than my HW's but thats fine, i like how it sounds now.
I should add that i didnt really look around before getting the Wizards. I wanted to try them, and as they were pretty cheap i just went for them. I expect there are better out there (i'd love to try Fralins on this bass) but these do me for now. As its a cheap bass, and a back up i hardly use i dont want to spend too much on it.

If you do want to compare stock with the Wizards you're welcome to come and compare mine to yours.
[/quote]

Tried dozens of jazz basses trying to find a good one, only one I regret not getting was a HW1, it was dirt cheap too :(

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1343055884' post='1744422']
Tried dozens of jazz basses trying to find a good one, only one I regret not getting was a HW1, it was dirt cheap too :(
[/quote]

Well ive had two now, a HW1 and a HW-One and both were fantastic basses (also had a HW-one P). Saying that, i really dont think ive played a nicer neck than the CV necks. I love the vintage frets and how nice the back of the neck feels. I don think i could go back to med jumbo frets now.
Although i have a Lakland JO neck on my CV P its only because i wanted a maple neck on it, and this came up cheap on here a while ago. Every time i get the CV Jazz out the neck just makes me smile.
The two basses have cured all my Bass GAS......for now.

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1343056176' post='1744431']
Well ive had two now, a HW1 and a HW-One and both were fantastic basses (also had a HW-one P). Saying that, i really dont think ive played a nicer neck than the CV necks. I love the vintage frets and how nice the back of the neck feels. I don think i could go back to med jumbo frets now.
Although i have a Lakland JO neck on my CV P its only because i wanted a maple neck on it, and this came up cheap on here a while ago. Every time i get the CV Jazz out the neck just makes me smile.
The two basses have cured all my Bass GAS......for now.
[/quote]

TBH a good passive jazz and a good P and you're sorted.
What I think is great that a "good" version of each can cost anywhere between £100 and £5000 - and really, if you find a good one at the bottom end of that you are kidding yourself that one at the top end will be that much better.

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1343056823' post='1744446']
TBH a good passive jazz and a good P and you're sorted.
What I think is great that a "good" version of each can cost anywhere between £100 and £5000 - and really, if you find a good one at the bottom end of that you are kidding yourself that one at the top end will be that much better.
[/quote]

Yep. my needs are simple so one of each is more than enough. Agree about spending more and not feeling like its been worth it. My Lakland DJ5 cost mew £1200 when i got it, and from the moment i plugged it in i never really liked it (loved the look though). I spent another £300+ getting it modded to a PJ and still no real love for it.
Took a chance on the CV Jazz and while i felt it could be improved on with a pup change i didnt feel as negative, and i hadn't broke the bank paying for it. Sold off all my other basses and am pretty content now.
I wish i had done this a few years ago, could have saved myself a fortune.

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1343058685' post='1744498']
Yep. my needs are simple so one of each is more than enough. Agree about spending more and not feeling like its been worth it. My Lakland DJ5 cost mew £1200 when i got it, and from the moment i plugged it in i never really liked it (loved the look though). I spent another £300+ getting it modded to a PJ and still no real love for it.
Took a chance on the CV Jazz and while i felt it could be improved on with a pup change i didnt feel as negative, and i hadn't broke the bank paying for it. Sold off all my other basses and am pretty content now.
I wish i had done this a few years ago, could have saved myself a fortune.
[/quote]
I found a £70 cimar jazz in a junk shop, justified buying it after seeing if a friend would want to buy it if I did it up (i enjoy doing basses us) got it home and eventually sold it to him.... which I really really regret- it sounded good- new pups would have been nice.... but man was it just fun to play. :( miss that bass

Thanks for the feedback again guys. Based on your sound advice, I'm going to wait for the bass to arrive, put some fresh strings on it, play the hell out of it & then re-access things. Hopefully i wont need or want to change a thing (it would certainly save me money). That way i may be able to afford a CV 60's P, should one come up used at the right price.

A sort of side note here, but what weight can i expect the CV 60's Jazz to come in at? I know that all pieces of wood are different etc. so even identical models can vary considerably, but if you know off hand, how much does your particular CV Jazz bass weigh?

Thanks

Mine is 9.5 lbs and I think the average is about 9.
I'm sure you will like the CV - I have 6 Jazz basses and the CV is the favourite of everyone who has played them all, from old codgers to young bucks.

Another great budget bass is the Farida range that Dawsons sell, they are made in the same factory as the CVs and their quality is on a par with much more expensive instruments.

I think my CVP is around 8.5, the Jazz is a bit heavier.
One other thing not mentioned yet is the string spacing at the bridge. The High mass bridge that The basses come with has a 20mm string spacing. For me that was a bit too wide, or at least it felt it, so I've changed the bridges on mine to Gotohs. This was probably the one "must do" upgrade I did.