Why become a member? ×

Dead pickup

Muppet

Well I was getting no sounds from the bridge pickup last night from my 2006 Jazz (with the S1 switch) so today was fixing time. Eliminated the usual things first then swapped out the S1 switch for a regular pot as I assumed it was that. Nope. turns out the pickup is not 'picking up'. It doesn't matter which way round I wire it up, I can't get a thing out of it. I can't test the resistance unfortunately at the moment but it's the first time in 22 years that I've had this.

Any ideas what might have caused it or how I might go about fixing it?

Cheers

Steve

Before looking for the multimeter, just check the solder connections on the base where the winding wires join the hook-up wires and make sure everything looks OK.

Then remember when testing for open and short circuits to test the pickup at these solder points to eliminate the hook up wires as the source of the problem.

If the problem is in the windings then you're looking at either a re-wind or a replacement pickup.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='186061' date='Apr 26 2008, 06:03 PM']Before looking for the multimeter, just check the solder connections on the base where the winding wires join the hook-up wires and make sure everything looks OK.

Then remember when testing for open and short circuits to test the pickup at these solder points to eliminate the hook up wires as the source of the problem.

If the problem is in the windings then you're looking at either a re-wind or a replacement pickup.[/quote]

Cheers for that. On close inspection it looks like the winding thread has broken when it joins the solder point, so you're spot on. I've tried unwinding the wire once to see if that gave me any free play, but it's wrapped from the middle rather than being one of the outer windings. Guess it's a new pickup then!