Why become a member? ×

Getting New Strings

Root-Note

Hi, Since I bought my bass I have used the strings that came with it which are those generic low gauge ones, and recently I have become tired of the amount of slack that they produce. I was hoping that whoever reads this could give me an idea of what make of strings to look at, the bass I own is a Squire Jazz Bass and I was thinking that a gauge 50- 100/ 105 would get rid of the slack (although please correct me if i'm wrong), another thing is that I'm looking for a nice thick tone and I want them to last a long time so they can get a nice warm sound once they get dirty.

Thanks for reading

Mike

I use Rotosound Roundwounds, 50 - 100 gauge. They do add a bit of tension, so are not too slack. I use Fast Fret on them once a week, to keep a bit of life in them. I`ve had the same set on my 77 Precision for 10 months now, and they have a nice warm, almost flatwound sound too them.

Edited by Lozz196

It varies between brands, but 50 - 100 isn't very balanced. The G will be tight but the E loose. Something like 45, 60, 80, 105 or 50, 65, 85, 110 would be better. Also you will probably have to adjust your truss rod. This isn't as scary as it sounds (unless you have to take the neck off). After that, action and finally intonation will need to be reset.

For a warm sound that lasts, maybe try some flatwound. Jamerson never changed his very thick flats ever.

Edited by Kesh

Sweet, cheers guys I expected to have to adjust inotation but fortunately I've done that before on previous instruments so I have some know-how on that, also correct me if i'm wrong but are flatwounds the type of strings used on double basses or acoustic fretless basses?

Yeah the tension issue is a bit of a pain. I've noticed on my 5 string that the higher strings have good tension but the lower thicker strings tend to flop around a lot more. Alex Calber mentioned this in the one and only issue of Bass Guitar Magazine I picked up. There was a manufacturer that made an evenly balanced set, but he didn't say who it was.

I got a pack of Warwick Red Label strings that are 045-065-085-105-135 and hopefully they'll be a bit better than the stock ones by bass came with.

Edited by heminder

[quote name='Root-Note' timestamp='1342977533' post='1743360']
Sweet, cheers guys I expected to have to adjust inotation but fortunately I've done that before on previous instruments so I have some know-how on that,
[/quote]Intonation adjustment isn't same as truss rod adjustment, if that's what you are saying.
[quote name='heminder' timestamp='1342978514' post='1743371']
Yeah the tension issue is a bit of a pain. I've noticed on my 5 string that the higher strings have good tension but the lower thicker strings tend to flop around a lot more. Alex Calber mentioned this in the one and only issue of Bass Guitar Magazine I picked up. There was a manufacturer that made an evenly balanced set, but he didn't say who it was.
[/quote]
CircleK http://circlekstrings.com/store/index.html sell balanced sets, and singles, but only in rounds unfortunately.