Why become a member? ×

Small Amps that pack a punch

arabassist

Haven't played bass in a long time due to work and haven't bought an amp in years. I popped into a music store today to test out some basses and I was plugged into a 15W (I'm not sure the gentleman said 15 or 50 to be honest) that was far more powerful and better sounding than my dull and wooden-sound Ashdown amp. It also came with some pre-set effects like chorus and distortion and what not - although I do have a multi-effects pedal which I play on with earphones anyway.

I'm curious as to how such a smaller amp can give out such better sound and volume. Maybe I chose a crap practice amp those few years back - though I heard ashdowns are quite good? Nonetheless this new amp was about £100 and I might buy it. I wonder if anyone recommend an alternative before I buy it, in-case there's some good standard little amp that most people buy/trade on here? I must admit I haven't paid much attention to amps, largely because I don't gig and I play rarely anyway.

Thanks.

The little practice amps nowadays certainly pack a punch. My 25 watt Ampeg BA 108, well I can`t get it on over 2 on volume at home without being extremely anti-social to the neighbours. Great sounding little amp. My old 15 watt Marshall MB15 was similar. I wouldn`t use either in a full band setting, but doing an acoustic type set, I`d have every faith in my Ampeg (it`s about £100 new).

I use a Markbass 801 as a practice amp and it's more powerful (ie. loud and full whilst remaining clean) than some of the [multiple times larger] brutes I used to play through.

Like you, I'd been wondering "How do they do that?" But I gave up and just enjoy it.

CB

Edited by cloudburst

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' timestamp='1342810110' post='1741443']
It would help so much if you mentioned the model of your amp and the one you tried out in the shop.
[/quote]

Sadly I had forgotten the name. I was just impressed with its sound to size ratio.

[quote name='cloudburst' timestamp='1342813501' post='1741514']
I use a Markbass 801 as a practice amp and it's more powerful (ie. loud and full whilst remaining clean) than some of the [multiple times larger] brutes I used to play through.

Like you, I'd been wondering "How do they do that?" But I gave up and just enjoy it.

CB
[/quote]

Yeah I'll probably end up buying it anyway.

Edited by arabassist