Why become a member? ×

Is The Text Editor Misbehaving?

NAS

Over the last two days I've experienced some strange behaviour when making posts. Attempts to insert url links and pictures seemed to in effect delete all subsequent text, and today just putting in carriage returns seemed to insert double line returns and ignore the following text in preview. Is this a site issue or is my browser doing something strange?

[quote name='Steve_K' post='19171' date='Jun 17 2007, 03:28 PM']Fine for me, what browser do you use?[/quote]

Just Internet Explorer on a Windows XP Pro Laptop. Sometimes wonder if all the checkers and filters interfere. Popup blockers seem to interfere with online functions sometimes.

[quote name='phatmonkey' post='19756' date='Jun 18 2007, 05:39 PM']Clear all your caches (it'll be in preferences or whatever) and yeah, turn off your pop up blockers. We installed an update, your browser might have cached the old javascript.[/quote]
Many thanks phatmonkey - I think this might have worked!

• 3 months later...

STRANGE PROBLEM

I cannot make 'new topics' hence my post here. Since this afternoon I can't load facebook and the google ad at the top of the screen won't load the 'ads by google' picture and subsiquently the page is always 'loading'. WTF is going on?? When I try an dpost a new topic I just get the two lines for title and subtitle.

PLZ help!! Some other sites are being funny too, namely eBay.

I am using Firefox and XP, all up to date, virus scanned etc.

[quote name='ped' post='74316' date='Oct 14 2007, 10:41 PM']STRANGE PROBLEM

I cannot make 'new topics' hence my post here. Since this afternoon I can't load facebook and the google ad at the top of the screen won't load the 'ads by google' picture and subsiquently the page is always 'loading'. WTF is going on?? When I try an dpost a new topic I just get the two lines for title and subtitle.

PLZ help!! Some other sites are being funny too, namely eBay.

I am using Firefox and XP, all up to date, virus scanned etc.[/quote]

Installed anything like NoScript on firefox?

NoScript is good, but it helps if you set the "temporarily allow top level sites by default" option. This means that scripts work on the site you went to, but 3rd-party scripts are blocked unless you allow them. Then (in general) you're only at risk if you go to dodgy sites that run nasty scripts themselves. :)

The only problem now seems to be that I cannot post new threads here! It is OK on Talkbass. The Google picture still wouldn't load but now it is ad-blocked anyway so maybe that was covering up the problem rather than facing it head on. HELP ME PLEASE!!!!

Ok now on facebook it only shows a few pictures per image gallery. Many just show as small blank boxes.

I thought I could update Java to the new version (intentionally running older version 5 because 6 is incompatible with Line6 Edit) but it can't connect to the thingy to download the bugger.

Java, as in Java Runtime Environment? Didn't know there were any Java apps on this site - it's not to be confused with JavaScript at all, there's no connection between the two.

With NoScript, can you see the icon at bottom [s]left[/s] right? If you click it, you can see the script sources that are and aren't blocked. basschat.co.uk should be Permanently Allowed, obviously.

Edited by bnt

Chaps

Thank you ever so much for this late night help.

Now then, a little update...

I ran Chkdsk just for fun as I know I have updated everything on my computer, I look after it very well and keep it all tip top. Well. I started scanning the D: (second partition to my main disk) and it stopped half way. getting annoyed, I took out the battery and restarted, only to find upon launching firefox that the default skin had loaded with most of my add-ons loading in new tabs and items like Foxytunes moved to their default positions. A quick check showed everything is now working fine - I moved everything around and it is still now fine. (touches wood)

I will keep you up to date, but really have no idea what happened there. I was literally JUST about to do a system restore on the badboy...

[quote name='ped' post='74316' date='Oct 14 2007, 10:41 PM']STRANGE PROBLEM

I can't load facebook[/quote]

I reckon the Feds are on to you :huh:

Or was it just me that was slightly alarmed by your seemingly in-depth knowledge of assault rifles? :)

Heh-heh :huh:

Edited by Mrs Tinman

[quote name='phatmonkey' post='75262' date='Oct 16 2007, 08:47 PM']Turn off Noscript, it's going to cause more problems. I think that's what Buzz meant.[/quote]

Yes, Whoops, I forgot to continue with the answers and questions.

It was: Have you got NoScript/Adblock installed, if Yes, make sure the sites you want to have access are allowed access.

Hi chaps,

Computer folk had a quick look today and haven't worked it out yet. Funny you should say TURN OFF noscript etc as the sites only work with it turned ON! Very random. I will have it back tomorrow morning so lets hope they fix it, or it goes out of the window (or through theirs)

ta
ped

[quote name='phatmonkey' post='75262' date='Oct 16 2007, 08:47 PM']Turn off Noscript, it's going to cause more problems. I think that's what Buzz meant.[/quote]
Any "problems" I've seen with NoScript are the result of it doing its job, actually. Back on pg 1 I recommended setting the "temporarily allow top level sites by default" option: that way, sites that rely on their own JavaScript work straight away, but all those 3rd-party scripts that people stick on their sites are blocked by default. Examples: basschat.co.uk's scripts work straight away, and googlesyndication.com is in the default "whitelist" that comes with NoScript, and I've had no problems here at all.

So, please stop telling people to turn NoScript off: it's not the problem if you configure it correctly. I consider it [b]essential[/b] these days, along with AdBlock, FoxMarks, and DownThemAll. I have absolutely no sympathy for site designers who just insert scripts from any old source, slowing everything down and cluttering up the screen: what if you are on a browser that doesn't do JavaScript at all? (They do exist you know, e.g. smartphones, and smart service providers like Google do accommodate them.)

Edited by bnt