Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Buying Advice

Theo

Hi All

I am finally looking to invest in a bass that will hopeful last be for the rest of my life. My budget is around £1000 maximum. I had been looking at basses on youtube and thought I had my heart set on a Musicman stingray until I went to the shops to have a play and I was really blown away by the fender jazz and P basses.

If possible could I get some advice on the following questions[list]
[*]What other makes of basses would anyone recommend for my budget?
[*]What models of fender bass would people recommend? (Because there seems to be a lot. I think I played a American standard fender jazz bass and a 50's reissue p bass)
[*]Also it seems you can get some bargains second hand over the internet. What are peoples thoughts on buying an instrument without playing it first?
[/list]
Cheers

First off, try as many different makes as you can. As you`ve found out, your hands can often take a liking to something you may not have considered.

There are so many different types of Fender Jazz & Precision, the best is the one that suits you most. For me, it is the US Standard Precision, although I`m yet to play any Precision I don`t like.

Re buying instruments without seeing them - well if it`s an instrument you already know you like, then for me, I`m not too worried, but some absolutely won`t buy one unless they`ve tried it. Each to their own, we all have to go with what suits. What I wouldn`t do is take a punt on a make/model I had no previous experience of playing. My two main basses, I`ve bought both 2nd hand, unseen, and love them both, but already knew I liked both of these makes/models.

I don't know what bass you should buy....but with that buget IMO you should try as many different basses as you can and then...have a good think. There's alot of good stuff in your price bracket.

Re second hand, you can get more or less anything with a grand and if you decide you don't like it you will probably recoupe most (if not all) your outlay. You would probably be pretty safe buying S/H on here, ie getting a good one.

I played a bass for decades and thought I was going to be buried with it.

I haven't played that bass for 25 years. Other better basses came along.

Try as many basses as you can (at least a couple of dozen) and buy the best one; then start saving for the next one.

Cheers for all your replies. I like the idea of trying basses out of my price range then buying it second hand. So everyone is in agreement that if a guitar is the same model it should sound the same second hand baring any damage. Wicked I will now start browsing the selling section of this forum. @Chris_b lol yeah I just keep saying for life to justify the cost to my self. There will always be bass gear you crave no matter what you have.

Edited by Theo

[quote name='Theo' timestamp='1342426285' post='1734494']
Cheers for all your replies. I like the idea of trying basses out of my price range then buying it second hand. So everyone is in agreement that if a guitar is the same model it should sound the same second hand baring any damage. Wicked I will now start browsing the selling section of this forum. @Chris_b lol yeah I just keep saying for life to justify the cost to my self. There will always be bass gear you crave no matter what you have.
[/quote]

similar, It will never be identical- fenders esp are very variable. There's a fender japanese jazz with nordstrand pickups for about £650 on there at the mo that I would buy if I had the money