Why become a member? ×

Orange TB500 Not Powering Up :(

RandomBass

Has anyone had experience of their OTB500 not powering up? I haven't used it for a couple of months, but its been stored indoors safe and dry - just gone to check it and it's dead as a dodo. The power lamp doesn't come on, no fan, nothing. Valves not glowing either. I've tried several mains leads with no success. Mains fuse in the unit is still intact.

Oddly, it did switch on at one point after a few tries - then died a few seconds later.

I did a quick search on here but didn't come up with anything much.

Ironically I was about to trade it with a BCer for another amp.. thank god I did try it beforehand otherwise that would have been most embarrasing. Damned frustrating though.

Anyone had anything like this before? Are there any other fuses inside the unit that might have blown?

Any suggestions most welcome.

Cheers

Geoff

Yes I think I'm going to have the thing apart for a nose about inside. The odd thing is that every now and again it will power up, but then die just a few seconds later, which leads me to think it might not be a blown fuse, but possibly a poor connection somewhere. Maybe.

Well bit of a boring update: it eventually stayed on, and I left it powered up for an hour. Then switched it off. It wouldn't power up again. And hasn't done since, so I think it needs someone cleverer than myself to have a look at it. Other things to do, so this will have to wait.

I had one do this to me. Fortunately it was still under warranty and it was said that it was part of a small batch of them that had a very similar problem. I sent it back to orange and they said it was unable to repair it so I was given a new one, out of curiosity I checked the serial numbers on the side of the box to make sure it was a different batch. Hope you get it sorted out

[quote name='Icunningham' timestamp='1342450945' post='1735251']
I had one do this to me. Fortunately it was still under warranty and it was said that it was part of a small batch of them that had a very similar problem. I sent it back to orange and they said it was unable to repair it so I was given a new one, out of curiosity I checked the serial numbers on the side of the box to make sure it was a different batch. Hope you get it sorted out
[/quote]

That's a bit worrying, I only just bought one of these.

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Give it a shake... If you hear a rattle, it maybe two large capacitors come off the board in the power amp section. That's what happened to mine (just out of warranty:D). The amps's so powerful is rattled the loose!!! Had mine repaired with some Russian military grade caps and it has been perfect ever since!!![/font]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Nige[/font]

Edited by yorick

[quote name='yorick' timestamp='1342457722' post='1735460']
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Give it a shake... If you hear a rattle, it maybe two large capacitors come off the board in the power amp section. That's what happened to mine (just out of warranty:D). The amps's so powerful is rattled the loose!!! Had mine repaired with some Russian military grade caps and it has been perfect ever since!!![/font]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Nige[/font]
[/quote]

The 'fix' from Orange will be hot glue. They are stuffed with it.

I gave it a quick shake (ooer missus) - nothing rattling around that I could hear. Unfortunately my time and money is tied up sorting my wedding which is in less than 2 weeks, so this will have to wait until after then. Luckily I have a couple of other amps I can use....

Thanks to all who have chipped in with suggestions, I appreciate it.

Cheers

Geoff