Why become a member? ×

john east

ian

[quote name='ian' timestamp='1341947677' post='1726907']
hi everyone just wanted to say what a great service john east gave my pre amp .very good guy thought i may get a very expensive bill but very very cheap thanks john
[/quote]

He's an absolute gent isn't he! And I love his work. I'm after another U-Retro at the moment, but it will have to wait.

He's a BC member too and has a thread in the Affiliates forum.

Edited by silddx

Had a couple of pre-amps from John - a J retro that I bunged in a Fender GL (then stupidly sold not long after) and a recently aqquired 'special order' U retro (no PU balance pot, battery indicator LED) which is currently installed in my 1981 Aria SB700 & doing the bizz in my 80s tribute band

As already stated, John is an absolute Gent and a pleasure to do business with - top bloke!

Cheers
Dave

[quote name='aldude' timestamp='1342037380' post='1728625']
I'd be interested in hearing what the J- retro is like - I'm thinking about augmenting a jazz of mine. Also, is the circuit the same as in all e others, ie. the U-retro etc? The specs seem the same from the web site. Thanks
[/quote]

Here you go http://basschat.co.uk/topic/123987-east-j-retro-01-before-and-after-comparison-sound-clips/

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1342038090' post='1728655']
Here you go [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/123987-east-j-retro-01-before-and-after-comparison-sound-clips/"]http://basschat.co.u...on-sound-clips/[/url]
[/quote]

Thanks!!

I mostly use an active preamp to boost the mids so the dusty end stuff cuts through better when I want it to. Would the J-retro cover me for that?

Also, what is the output level? I have an active Ibanez with a level that is about the same as a passive bass and I think that's great. Does the J-retro have a trim pot or something like that?

[quote name='aldude' timestamp='1342082015' post='1729085']
Thanks!!

I mostly use an active preamp to boost the mids so the dusty end stuff cuts through better when I want it to. Would the J-retro cover me for that?

Also, what is the output level? I have an active Ibanez with a level that is about the same as a passive bass and I think that's great. Does the J-retro have a trim pot or something like that?
[/quote]

Yes it has a trim pot where you can alter the output up or down.

[quote name='aldude' timestamp='1342082015' post='1729085']
Thanks!!

[b]I mostly use an active preamp to boost the mids so the dusty end stuff cuts through better when I want it to. Would the J-retro cover me for that?[/b]

[/quote]

Yes it has a mid sweep with boost and cut. And as has been mentioned an internal trim pot to match passive and active output levels.

It also has a bypass switch to passive that omits the need for a battery, very handy if it dies mid set.

Edited by silddx