Why become a member? ×

Think i may have screwed my nut up :(

sam_

Just restrung my SX jazz with some ernie ball slinys (50-70-85-105) and the 50 is resting on the frest up until the 5th or so fret, could i have f***ed up the unt during the restring?

EDIt: how the f did this end up in build diaries? :| i was in repairs etc :s

Edited by sam_

[quote name='Buzz' post='184987' date='Apr 25 2008, 01:04 AM']Sounds like it, as it's only resting on the first 5 frets.

Have you gone down in gauge? (so, 55->50?)[/quote]
not sure what gauge stock SX strings are in the first plce :)

If they're hitting all the frets, chances are the nut slot is too low, meaning new nut time. Tried raising the bridge saddle?
I take it only that string has changed when being restrung?

And silly question but needs to be asked: New strings, have you streched them and tuned up properly?

It SOUNDS from your post like this is the 2st time you've changed strings on this bass? (changed from std strings)

I really very much doubt that you have doen anyting to the nout unless you've been at it with a file....

Most factory made basses have notoriously high nuts- not low ones, so this sounds much more like a set up issue as pointed out above.

Sam, the guage will not make a difference to the min hieght the strings are from the frets. It wil be the same for any set of strings as long as they are not worn where they pass over the nut.....

What will change is the relationship of differing string gauges to the rest of the instrument.(Neck pups and bridge)

The height of the strings at the bridge,

The amount of relief on the neck

And the intonation.

All 3 of these are highly likely to change with diferent gauges. The more you tell us the more I'm becoming certain that you need a truss rod adjustmnet to increase the relief....