Why become a member? ×

DIY Class D, anyone?

bremen

I'm having some boards made, and am buying the bits for these:

https://ec.irf.com/v6/en/US/adirect/ir?cmd=catSearchFrame&domSendTo=byID&domProductQueryName=IRAUDAMP7D

Seems to be a mature, reliable design that should build into a very nice 500w (bridged) amp, or a stereo 250W.

The ready-made ones sell for $200. Anyone interested in a kit for considerably less than that? Or a built-up one for a lot less?

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1341592170' post='1721581']
that sounds like a good project, stick a nice home made preamp before it.... and bobs your uncle.... I know what preamp schematic I would use too! :D
[/quote]

Ampeg SVP or Alembic Fenderclone?

Check out Cold Amp and Hypex who also manufacture ready built D Class modules. They are great companies too. For the 'Daddy' of D Class modules I'd look at Powersoft's offerings as well as B&O. Both of which I think OEM for some of our favourite lightweight heads!

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1341594308' post='1721627']
Check out Cold Amp and Hypex who also manufacture ready built D Class modules. They are great companies too. For the 'Daddy' of D Class modules I'd look at Powersoft's offerings as well as B&O. Both of which I think OEM for some of our favourite lightweight heads!
[/quote]

I did look at hypex and coldamp yes, but I'm trying to save a bit of cash by doing the DIY thing...also the IR design gives 500w into 8 ohms, a good match for single eminence neo drivers as seen in Barefaced and similar cabs.