Why become a member? ×

Just Learning....

RachAllenBand

[quote name='MysticGuitar' timestamp='1341392628' post='1718057']
LOL Does the opening theme from "Seinfeld" count? :P
What do you mean I'm lucky to be playing his bass.... lol.... He thought he was lucky I let him play my Takamine guitar! He has a friend who doesn't let anyone touch his Takamine. I also have a Fender Strat, so yes, I'm careful with guitars. I also plead with him to NOT sell any of his basses..... unlike his friends' wives who are always glad when the guy sells a guitar. Us musicians have to stick together. ;)
[/quote]

ok. . . . i take that back! :o wish my girl was more like you, she only complains my guitars are all over the place ^_^
so what guitars do you have yourself or "claimed" from your fella?

[quote name='bigsmokebass' timestamp='1341495625' post='1720030']
ok. . . . i take that back! :o wish my girl was more like you, she only complains my guitars are all over the place ^_^
so what guitars do you have yourself or "claimed" from your fella?
[/quote]

We have guitars all over the place, too, but I don't mind. :) The only guitars I own are the Fender Squire Strat (cheapo) and an acoustic/electric Takamine, as both were given as presents to me by my EX. I can't really afford to buy guitars. They wouldn't sell for much money, but the Takamine is quite popular and used by musicians like Mark Knopfler, The Eagles, Bruce Springsteen, etc... I've just recently asked to play my husband's Hofner (did I say play? I meant learn), since he isn't showing interest in playing bass on any of my songs. I'm disabled, so I can't really lift his other bass guitars to try and play them. The Hofner is perfect for me, though; it's actually lighter than my Takamine.

Maybe your girl will get used to the guitars being all around the house? My first Christmas present to my current husband when we were just dating was a nice Bass POD he could use in his band. I think he was surprised :D

Edited by MysticGuitar

I find cheap guitars more enjoyable to play, 1 because your not constantly worrying about bashing it or even scratching it if you use plecs. 2 the tone is pretty versatile as to "classic"/"modern" tones from the upper price region instruments, making them good for beginners too.

Never really had much interest in Hofners, mainly with being brought up in Liverpool all i ever heard about was The Beatles this, The Beatles that <_< i just grew to hate everything associated with them haha, but after seeing some of the Hofner CT series they have. . . I'm tempted :D

JEEZ! i bet he was over the moon when he got that :o :D
lol she's a joy really, when she was driving she did take me on a 120mile trip to collect my marshall and numerous times to guitar shops. i just always cringe when she picks one of my guitars up XD

BSB

[quote name='bigsmokebass' timestamp='1341588597' post='1721503']
I find cheap guitars more enjoyable to play, 1 because your not constantly worrying about bashing it or even scratching it if you use plecs. 2 the tone is pretty versatile as to "classic"/"modern" tones from the upper price region instruments, making them good for beginners too.

Never really had much interest in Hofners, mainly with being brought up in Liverpool all i ever heard about was The Beatles this, The Beatles that <_< i just grew to hate everything associated with them haha, but after seeing some of the Hofner CT series they have. . . I'm tempted :D

JEEZ! i bet he was over the moon when he got that :o :D
lol she's a joy really, when she was driving she did take me on a 120mile trip to collect my marshall and numerous times to guitar shops. i just always cringe when she picks one of my guitars up XD

BSB
[/quote]

I hear ya about cheap guitars. I have also heard many UKers say they are sick of the Beatles. But, for an American, they were fantastic since their music appealed to all categories of people, not just youngsters. Not many bands can say that. Good melody writers, no matter how simplistic. Now, as you were "Beatled" to death... :lol: ... I was bombarded with the Rolling Stones' music over and over and over.... so I can't stand them now, except for a few songs. If only radio broadcasters realized how they turned off people by overplaying certain bands. I came from a very Rock 'n Roll town, which hated Rap (or as we called it, C*ap) and hip hop (what we called Bubblegum music). Luckily, my brothers had great albums for me to hear, like The Who, T.Rex, etc...

Your girl sounds like a keeper; at least she drives you where you need to go :D

Edited by MysticGuitar

To be fair, I've listened to a fair bit of Harrison and the odd 'the wings but as a whole, the Beatles are just something I'll never come to appreciate as much as others as you'll understand with the stones.
I think it's a generation thing, as much as I wa raised on Pink Floyd, Mike and the mechanics, E.L.O, the police/sting and a few other 'Classic Rock' bands my parents where into, I do enjoy my fair bit of metal and alt rock of my day. It all comes down to what mood I'm in but my parents wouldn't dare dream of listening to what I do haha.

LOL she does help me pick a guitar occasionally but it's more so on what colour it is. She's a good girl and we celebrate our differences too, too many things in common would only cause conflict haha. How are you and your fella?
Where are you origionally from too?

BSB

[quote name='bigsmokebass' timestamp='1341684390' post='1722804']
To be fair, I've listened to a fair bit of Harrison and the odd 'the wings but as a whole, the Beatles are just something I'll never come to appreciate as much as others as you'll understand with the stones.
I think it's a generation thing, as much as I wa raised on Pink Floyd, Mike and the mechanics, E.L.O, the police/sting and a few other 'Classic Rock' bands my parents where into, I do enjoy my fair bit of metal and alt rock of my day. It all comes down to what mood I'm in but my parents wouldn't dare dream of listening to what I do haha.

LOL she does help me pick a guitar occasionally but it's more so on what colour it is. She's a good girl and we celebrate our differences too, too many things in common would only cause conflict haha. How are you and your fella?
Where are you origionally from too?

BSB
[/quote]

I know what you mean about the music. I like a bit of heavy metal, must be because my neighbor always blasted Black Sabbath music from his house as a teenager. Not really into a lot of it, though, I still enjoy the old classic groups like your parents do. We did have a great Alternative Rock radio station back home, which I thoroughly enjoyed, otherwise I wouldn't have heard The Cure or Squeeze. :)

I like how you said that you and your girl celebrate your differences, too. That is so important, and people often forget it. My Tom and I are very opposite on many things, yet it keeps the relationship interesting. I think as long as you have respect for each other (and that includes your mate's opinions), it's really not that difficult to get along while having differences. When the EX divorced me because I was sick, the first quality I looked for in another partner was how they handled conflict. Because, invariably, there will be conflict at some point in a relationship. I don't hold grudges and I don't go to bed angry, never have used the "silent" treatment.... so I wanted a guy who also got over disputes quickly.

Btw, thanks for asking about us, that was really thoughtful. We're okay, still making each other laugh :D Gotta love a good sense of humour!
I'm originally from Baltimore, Maryland, which is a big seafood town. People fly in from different parts of the USA just to sample our hard steamed crabs because we season them differently (same with the shrimp). Luckily, I can get a can of Old Bay seasoning over here (which is what's used back in Baltimore). I love that stuff! I even put it on scrambled eggs. haha I really miss all the good seafood from back home. In October, oyster stew would be sold at the seafood places. Steamed shrimp was sold in the regular food stores along with soft shell crabs so you could make fried soft shell crab sandwiches. Crab soup was common, too. I used to make it. The seafood over here isn't seasoned like ours, of course, and seems like it's mostly sold near the coastlines, but I'm not on a coastline (we're between Ascot and Wokingham). Sorry for the ramble. lol

[quote name='MysticGuitar' timestamp='1341822307' post='1724421']
[/quote]
Haha Black Sabbath, another band I've only recently come to appreciate :) Geezer is quite phenomenal and underrated giving what band he's in.

Awww that's sad but really sweet, you seem to make a great couple by the sounds of it and think very highly of one another, besides spoiling him at Christmas :) well we've been together almost 5 years now and still going strong through thick and thin :)

Where you come from sounds amazing, I don't eat fish (or eggs :P) but just the smell of some of this food would make my mouth water no doubt XD
It seems in a sense you miss living there, do you?and I take it your a fan of food and cooking?

BSB

[quote name='bigsmokebass' timestamp='1341841282' post='1724922']
Haha Black Sabbath, another band I've only recently come to appreciate :) Geezer is quite phenomenal and underrated giving what band he's in.

Awww that's sad but really sweet, you seem to make a great couple by the sounds of it and think very highly of one another, besides spoiling him at Christmas :) well we've been together almost 5 years now and still going strong through thick and thin :)

Where you come from sounds amazing, I don't eat fish (or eggs :P) but just the smell of some of this food would make my mouth water no doubt XD
It seems in a sense you miss living there, do you?and I take it your a fan of food and cooking?

BSB
[/quote]

Sounds like you and your girl definitely have a good thing going. :) That's so great to hear. I've only known Tom for 7 years, only married for 3 (took a while with organizing the immigration and all). You said you don't eat fish or eggs, so are you a vegetarian?
I come from a long line of famous bakers in my ancestry, so cooking just comes natural to me. My mother was known for her cooking back in our old neighborhood. To answer your question, yes, I miss Maryland very much. Last time I was there was in 2010 to bury my mom, so wasn't a very happy trip. Tom also loves Maryland and the food there. We had fantastic times when he'd fly over to visit me years ago. I'd drive around in my old 1972 Buick Skylark GS as we sampled various restaurants. :D He wouldn't mind moving there. But it isn't feasible to do so with the high cost of healthcare back in the states. However, it's tempting when I see how cheap houses and land are.... and I do miss our big rooms back home, wider stairways, nice closet space, etc... I could write a long list of what I miss. lol But it's safer over here in England. I don't have to worry about guns. I also love the weather temperature here. Don't have to worry about tornadoes and hurricanes. :)

[quote name='SpaceChick' timestamp='1341935272' post='1726489']
Bit late to the party but I wanted to say welcome to the UK and to Basschat.

There's a few of us bass playing girlies on here :D

So come on in, the water is lovely :P
[/quote]

Very nice of you, SpaceChick, thanks so much! :)

• 2 weeks later...