Why become a member? ×

CIJ 2005 Fretless P-Bass?

Highfox

I have my eye on one of these and wondered if anyone has had a chance to play one or has any words of wisdom on what I should look out for or expect with these models?
Seems it's hard to come by fretless P's nowadays unless you (can afford) something fairly old or stomp up for a Tony Franklin sig. Am I right in thinking that the only non signature fretless Fender P basses are made CIJ/MIJ nowadays?

Thanks..

As I remember - back in 2005 or so there were a couple of choices - a sunburst with unlined rosewood - PB62FL - I've seen a few of these on e-bay and should be reasonably easy to find

Also - an ash body with unlined maple fingerboard - PB70US-84FL - these are a good bit more rare.

I know about these as I bought both and swapped necks !

They both make for fantastic fretless P-basses - whether you swap necks or not........

Only way of obtaining one would be e-bay, ishibashi in japan - used only I'm afraid - or perhaps far east guitars - [url="http://www.fareastguitars.co.uk/"]http://www.fareastguitars.co.uk/[/url]

Perhaps others may suggest some decent sources

Good luck with your hunt !

Thanks for that dmz, especially the model numbers. Do you know if the PB62FL comes in an Alder body or just basswood? Also any idea what pickups they have in the 2005 models?
Seems hard to find info on them and what I have found seems conflicting.. with regard to pickups and body material.

Thanks again.

I've recently acquired a 2008 CIJ 62 Reissue Fretless Precision. It was a non-export model and is very nice indeed. I would regard model numbers as a rough guide. There are export and non-export models. Some are alder, some are basswood. Some have vintage bridges and tuners and some don't. Some have USA vintage pickups and others don't. It also seems that you can get any mixture of all of these things. Probably depends on what is in the parts bin at the time. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one of these basses if I was you. However, I would also ignore the model numbers and just treat each bass as an individual. You won't be disappointed. Good luck!

The PB62FL had a basswood body and Japanese pickups - wouldn't let that put you off - sounds great with the unlined maple neck.

The PB70US-84FL had an ash body and US pickups - the "84" part of the model number related to the price in Japan - 84,000 yen.

I'm sorry but there is no way that there is a definitive answer to what spec these basses come in. I have asked around a lot about the 62 reissues and there are people who have alder bodies but Japanese pickups. Some have vintage tuners but not vintage bridges and vice-versa. How do you know if a patrticular bass is an export model unless you buy it new? BTW Japanese pickups are not a disadvantage - they sound very acceptable. I can only say again that you should view each inidividual instrument and find out from the seller exactly what spec it has. I would even do this if I was buying new.