Why become a member? ×

Had some time off... Need a cheap amp!

JeSuisSkeleton

So I became very disillusioned with bass around a year ago. Essentially I got bored of it and got stuck in a rut with my playing. I also got more into other forms of music that I didn't play bass for.

Anyways, I'm looking to getting back into playing and maybe teaching a little, so I'm after a small, CHEAP amp that I can practice with, and maybe play the odd small gig with. Let's say max £350 for now. Second hand definitely an option too.

I'm open to any ideas really. I play a Stingray 4 and an Ibanez BTB406QM. I've not been following anything bass related for about 14 or 15 months now so I'm pretty clueless! Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks!

EDIT - Should say I'm open to anything that's SUPER portable. Planning on moving back to London in the next couple of months so needs to be tube friendly!

Edited by JeSuisSkeleton

Firstly, welcome back.

Secondly, a new option might be the TC BG250 combo - compact, light and 250W through a 15" speaker. Bass Guitar Magazine reviewed it this month.

Secondhand - 'super portable' might be one of the GK MB combos? Or the Promethian from Ibanez.

Cheers

Geoff

Going by Bass Guitar Magazines review this month, I`ll echo Geoffs recommendation for the TC BG250 as an amp to look at. You can get them for about £325. They weigh 15.8kg/35lbs. On-board tuner. And there seems to be a link at the top of this very page!

Thanks for the recommendations guys. I've just bought a MarkBass LM250 from a fellow member of the forum, so just after a cheap cab now! A lightweight 12" or something similar. I was thinking along the lines of this in terms of size, weight and price, but obviously would need to try it with my bass and the head: http://www.thomann.de/gb/eden_ex112_8ohm.htm - Any ideas? I play a Stingray 4 as mentioned.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1341335459' post='1717294']
Eden cabs are nice, usually very loud, and full-bodied in the sound - or at least, the ones I`ve had were (410s).
[/quote]

Excellent, thanks! I think I might try a few different ones out first, though the price point on that Eden is very tempting just to get something of decent quality.

I also saw on the LM250 page on markbass.it that it requires a 'minimum' of 4 ohms impedance. Does that mean between 4 and 0? Or 4 and upwards? i.e. could I use an 8 ohm cab with the LM250?

[quote name='JeSuisSkeleton' timestamp='1341419625' post='1718738']
Excellent, thanks! I think I might try a few different ones out first, though the price point on that Eden is very tempting just to get something of decent quality.

I also saw on the LM250 page on markbass.it that it requires a 'minimum' of 4 ohms impedance. Does that mean between 4 and 0? Or 4 and upwards? i.e. could I use an 8 ohm cab with the LM250?
[/quote]
Yep, 4 ohms and upwards. So you'll be fine with an 8 ohm cab. :)

Another possibility is this cab: http://www.thomann.de/gb/ebs_cl_110_cabinet.htm

Thomann seems to be the cheapest so I'll probably end up buying from there. Had a look around the classifieds and not really found anything that takes my fancy. That being said I know nothing about which cabs go with which heads... I'm after a pretty versatile set-up, something that can get a variety of tones, but mostly pop/rock, fairly modern sounds.