Why become a member? ×

Home Studio Mixer Recommendations?

Norris

Hi

I'm looking to get myself a mixer for home studio use. I'm unlikely to want record multiple things at the same time, but the capability would be nice. I don't want to have to fit any more cards into my PC, so am looking at mixers with built-in USB interface. I'd also like built-in effects like echo & reverb, as I want to keep everything compact and don't have the room for lots of outboard stuff.

The type of stuff I'd like to record:[list]
[*]vocals - probably one at a time
[*]electric guitar (both DI & mic'ed amp, possibly 2 instruments at a time)
[*]acoustic guitar
[*]acoustic piano
[*]electric piano & keyboard
[*]electronic drums (either line-in or midi)
[*]other acoustic instruments such as flute, trumpet, trombone, etc.
[/list]
I've been looking at the Behringer Xenyx mixers - particularly the X1222USB and X1622USB. Both are similarly priced/spec'ed. Has anybody got experience with these mixers, recommendations on these or other compact mixers up to £200 inc. VAT?

Edit: oops - bit of premature posting there!

Edited by Norris

I've had the X1622FX for a few years (came with a USB interface). The X1622USB looks to be identical but with the interface built in.
It's pretty good for the money, nice and quiet and has been totally reliable.

[quote name='bartelby' timestamp='1341059011' post='1713319']
I've had the X1622FX for a few years (came with a USB interface). The X1622USB looks to be identical but with the interface built in.
It's pretty good for the money, nice and quiet and has been totally reliable.
[/quote]
Thanks. I've just seen the [url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Behringer-X1622USB-Xenyx-Input-Mixer/dp/B0036ECH3U/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1341059120&sr=8-5"]X1622USB on Amazon[/url] for under £150, so that's even better.

I use a small Xenyx mixer but without built-in effects as I prefer to experiment with getting the effects right after recording. This way you also have an enormous range of software effects plug-ins to choose from rather than being limited to the mixer's built-in effects - which may be good or bad.

The mixer has been problem free and noise level is pretty good. Behringer gear often gets rubbished but it's based more on folklore than fact.

Edited by dincz

Why buy a mixer? If you prefer quality over features go for a small recording interface. Which one you go for is dependent on budget and channels needed.

In respect of the effects you mentioned, better to use the once in your software/DAW. They are likely to be of better quality than anything in a mixer

[quote name='Rimskidog' timestamp='1341076723' post='1713616']
Why buy a mixer? If you prefer quality over features go for a small recording interface. Which one you go for is dependent on budget and channels needed.

In respect of the effects you mentioned, better to use the once in your software/DAW. They are likely to be of better quality than anything in a mixer
[/quote]

+1. I have never felt the need for a mixer- after all, cakewalk has a nice mixer built straight on to the interface! 2 monitors, one for the console and effects (when needed) and the other for track view. Sorted.

Consoles are really helpful when it comes to workflow and sound - talking about consoles for men, not boys toys. Within 200GBP budget there´s nothing to gain compared to a recordinginterface and working ITB. The cheapest serious desk that I would rate to be beneficial regarding workflow and sound with interface integration or DAW control are a Midas VeniceF, Audient 4816 etc. Not exactly your budget. So +1 what Rimskidog says. Unless you´re very serious about recording go with an Interface and do it ITB.

Edited by jensenmann