Why become a member? ×

How hard is it to convert an american power supply to a UK one?

Hey guys

I've been thinking of buying a Morley Tel Rey Power Wah Boost pedal which is the same one Cliff Burton used but the only problem is, they only seem to be available from the US as it's an old unit (last produced 1983 I believe?) and obviously that means it runs on 110v power supply but ours is 240v here so I'm worried that if I just change the plug, it would blow it up.
So, here's what I'm wondering, is there a way I can change it to a 240v transformer or am I best leaving it alone and doing something else with it?

Cheers
Stevie

From the images I've seen, it uses an external 9V power supply.

Just throw the US one in the bin and replace it with a UK one - as long as the pedal gets 9V it won't care where it comes from.

EDIT: If it's a really old mains powered one then it's gonna need surgery and probably isn't worth mucking about with.

Edited by icastle

A step-down transformer is probably the easiest solution, if the unit has an internal US mains power supply.

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1341006846' post='1712893']
EDIT: If it's a really old mains powered one then it's gonna need surgery and probably isn't worth mucking about with.
[/quote]

Generally I'd agree with that. But if it was absolutely essential to convert it then tweaking a built-in PSU would be a last resort for me. I'd probably just find and measure the DC output of the internal PSU and wire it to a new jack-socket before removing or disconnecting the internal PSU. I'd then use a suitable standard external PSU.

So there are plenty of options to consider.

hell yh to one of these, its cheap simple and works!!! but as said by icastle, if it drawing 9 volts then just buy a new 9 volt power sup.

[quote name='bartelby' timestamp='1341038982' post='1713031']
One of these?
[url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Step-Down-Voltage-Converter-220v/dp/B000XROE3Y"]http://www.amazon.co...v/dp/B000XROE3Y[/url]
[/quote]

I know 2 guitarists who use old US Fender combos and they both use step up transformers because they think replacing the power supply might change the sound of the amp.

If that can happen and you're buying this particular pedal for its sound then I'd not risk it and get a small step up transformer.

Hey guys

Cheers for all your advise and replies. In answer to the people asking, it's a mains powered wah pedal, not a standard 9v powered one like the Dunlop wahs or usual pedals so yeah, it probably would need an internal transformer psu swap if anything. It sounds like it could be a dangerous and risky job so if I was to ever get the pedal, I would probably do what people are saying and get an external step up transformer like the one Bartelby recommended.
Thing is, I want that exact pedal because it's the one Cliff Burton used and he's a big influence of mine as well as the fact I love that biting tone he got when using the Big Muff pedal and the Morley Power Boost Wah. I've tried the usual Jim Dunlop Bass wah but it just doesn't cut it like the Morley does and to be honest, I'm growing less fond of JD pedals by the moment. The only pedal by them I do like is the MXR Dynacomp but I'd never use it.

I'll have to see what happens over the next few months but thanks anyway guys!