Why become a member? ×

Trace Elliot AH250 GP11 MK 2

Arghhh - I really don't know if i want to do this - but i think i must! For sale is my beloved Trace Elliot AH250 GP11 MK2 head. This was my first 'proper' bass amp and I used it exclusively for about 6 years. Has done gigs / festivals and practices and NEVER let me down - ever! Has been my backup amp for a while as my Soundcity had a habit of shaking itself to death but that seems to be cured now so this is not being used and should probably go :(

It is 250 watts solid state which has been loud enough for everything I've ever done - has an xlr DI output too if you need help from the in house PA. Has the GP11 preamp and that classic 'trace tone' people talk about - at one point I also owned a mkV AH250 but chose to keep this one as I preferred the sound it made.

The amp works perfectly, the two speed fan and UV light switches are both operational. The amp has a hand wired component board (if that matters to you) and high spec capacitors - you can switch the plug off and it will keep playing for 2-5 seconds! It definitely isn't a lightweight amp.

Bad points - some of the plastic sliders have broken off on the eq but all still move and work like they should. The preshaped / flat switch is a little temperamental so I always left it on flat and eq'd.

This is an early 80's amp - well before the Gibson owned era of Trace elliot - and I have only seen one other of these. I really loved this amp and had some great times with it but would like it to be used and enjoyed by someone.

Not definate I want to sell this (I'm a sentimental fool) - £250

[IMG]http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm265/mattjones_81/IMG_5872.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm265/mattjones_81/IMG_5874.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm265/mattjones_81/IMG_5876.jpg[/IMG]

• 4 months later...

Arghh - the impending festive season has dictated that I put sentiment to one side and put this amp back up for sale. Have been using it as a back-up amp to my valve amp, and lending it to optimistic bassists who turn up to gigs with no amplification!!!! Still working spot on and sounding lovely.

Thanks

Matt

Lovely amps these. I also used to have a mk IV, which only looks cosmetically different to this. Trace "watts" are very loud, so don't be fooled into thinking that this 250 would not be as loud as a modern 500 - simply not true!

Sadly, Trace gear is not selling well these days and although [i]I[/i] think it's a good price, the lack of interest might suggest otherwise... :(

Still - good luck and have a bump on me! B)

Hi Conan,

Thanks for the comments - I agree that Trace gear is not selling well at the moment. I guess it is seen as a bit outdated nowadays. I'm really torn with selling this amp - I need money but I've had this amp so long and it has been so good to me that I would rather keep it as back up than let it go for peanuts.

I think I'd hoped a Trace Elliot enthusiast would have this - I have never seen a mark 2 gp11 like mine anywhere else and there doesn't seem to be much on the on the net!

It is indeed a very early one.
This could be one of those rare occasions when it would be better to hold onto it.

Crappy old ~PA amps from the 70s are worth a fortune these days. There's no way that this won't be loved one day.

I've had a right few Trace amps over the year, have had at least 4 GP11 based amps over the years.
Was without one for a few years and now I have one again, will never let it go.

Don't sell it for peanuts. They're better than that.