Why become a member? ×

Sterling by Musicman SB14: neck profiles.

Marvin

Unfortunately none of the music stores near me stock one so I can't try one out. The blurb on the Sterling website says they have a 38mm nut but I was wondering whether the neck profile, i.e depth or radius, was generally as a Jazz type bass. I don't expect it to be like my Ibanez SR, but I find my hand cramps a lot if the neck is 'clubby' like on the Rockbass Corvette I had until recently.

And just out of idle curiosity what are the RAY34's like? :)

Cheers

[url="http://www.sterlingbymusicman.com/sb14"]http://www.sterlingbymusicman.com/sb14[/url]

Edited by Marvin

I favour skinny necks and have recently bought an SB14, and also have some Fenders with Jazz neck profiles (Power Jazz Bass Special and Precision Lyte). Plus a selection of assorted JapCrap with Jazz type profiles, but not an Ibanez.

I am not sure how to measure it but on a comparative basis the width of the necks are exactly the same, but the SB14 is slightly deeper than the Fender Jazz necks. In hand the feel is nearer to the slightly wider and deeper Westone necks, although a tad shallower than these. Not as deep as some P-Bass necks I have tried, though. I find it extremely comfy, I have to say. Also the way it hangs is different - the smaller headstock and general body configuration make it a couple of inches shorter than the Fender Precision style bodies I have, which I find makes it slightly easier to play - the balance is somehow better like this. Sound wise there is a world of difference.

Marvin. I`ve got one of the Ray 34 ca models which has the thinner neck. I would agree with Paul, they are slightly deeper than a Jazz neck but not by much and not as deep as say a P bass neck. I don`t know how to measure the radius of the neck but if you get a tape measure and put it round the neck at the first fret, the width is 63mm. Don`t know if it helps. I really like the neck profile and have included a few pics.

As for the bass, I really like it. I bought it as a Clff Williams lookalike on a budget. The neck pocket is uber tight, the frets are perfect, the bass was nicley set up when it arrived and the 2 band eq is ideal for me. The only down side was the tuners felt quite "slack" to me but from what I have read this is not common and to be fair, in the studio they held their tuning well. I had already ordered a set of Schallers from Thomman and have put them on and they look the biz and work perfectly of course.

[attachment=111285:SAM_0508.JPG][attachment=111286:SAM_0509.JPG][attachment=111287:SAM_0510.JPG][attachment=111288:SAM_0515.JPG]

Edited by jezzaboy