Why become a member? ×

Ashdown Spyder 550 Dual Tube Bass Head for sale **Price Drop**

[attachment=111347:Spyder (1024x576).jpg]

[attachment=111788:DSCF0373.JPG][attachment=111789:DSCF0383.JPG]
Hello Folks,

Up for sale is my Ashdown Spyder 550 Dual Tube head. This is a seriously cool looking with its rich Chrome front panel The Spyder is a 550 watt rackmountable head with dual input tubes giving it a really great tone.
It features High and Low gain inputs, front panel-mounted Effects Send and Return, rotary Bass, Middle and Treble controls with Mid Shift, Bass Shift and Bright switching, Mute switch, rotary Gain and Master volume controls and balanced DI output with Pre/Post switching. To keep it running nice and cool it is fitted with two rear mounted cooling fans and has the iconic Ashdown VU meter of course. As the Spyder head is based on the All Tube Ashdown 427 small block amp, the VU meter is on the output side of the amp.

I purchased the head new in August last year and it has only been used at about 12 gigs since then so basically it has led a very easy life. I'm a non-smoker and I have always kept it in a flightcase so its in mint condition. The head specifications are,

[b]Power Output[/b] (RMS) 550W
[b]Dimensions[/b] H x W x D (mm) 195 x 525 x 325
[b]Weight[/b] (kg) 14

New these are selling for upwards of £500 but I'm asking for [u][b]£330 o.v.n.o [/b][/u]I will also include the flightcase mentioned with the head if you want it.

Please message me or contact/text my mobile on 07775 777450

Thanks for reading,

Mike.

PS: New photos added.

Edited by hollowsbass

I heard they're being discontinued as well. Don't know why, though... Instead of discontinuing it, Ashdown should make a 900 version like the ABM's. I really liked my ABM, but the 550 is the closest I ever got to the sound and, specially, feel, of an all valve amp. And I owned the Orange Terror Bass and the Ampeg SVT-3.

Good luck with the sale.

I think it is UK made but dont quote me on that Wal. Have they only discontinued the rackmount version then?

Hey Eddie, a 900 watt one would be a killer amp but my speakers would cry out for mercy. I love the idea of the Orange Terror Bass too as its only about 5kgs but not sure about the Orange isobaric cabs that go with it. Can they really be as good as a normal 2x10 or 2x12 and why so exspensive?

PS: As you have both owned one of these 550 heads and sold them, do you think my asking price is fair? I'm not exactly swamped with offers.

Hey man!

I didn't sell mine. Mine is still going strong, hehe. I did sell my Orange TB, though. It's a great amp and louder than the 550, but I prefer the sound and feel of the Ashdown better. It responds better to the dynamics of your playing, in my opinion. I had the Orange SP410 for a while. Good cab, loud and punchy, but you can get similar, or better 2x10's (which is what PS410 is, in practical terms) for cheaper. If you want a real good Orange cabinet, try the OBC115.

I think your price is good, the problem is nobody has any cash right now.

Thanks Eddie,

Always good to talk to you mate, i think you're right and its just a difficult time for selling gear. Perhaps i should consider evilBay although it would be my last resort.
Regarding the Orange stuff, thanks for the info.
Lastly, i have been getting serious GAS latetly for one of these Cataldo FenderBirds, they are handmade US custom jobs but arent totally out of reach pricewise, have you seen them?

Guys

This is a for sale thread.

Please keep the banter on topic, and take chatting about other items to another topic or via PM.

I will be pruning this post down tomorrow to get it back onto the topic of selling an amp.

OK Cheers,
Just a tentative question for now really, I considering Ashdown Amps atm so just weighing up my options.
If I may, does the Spyder series have the warmth of the ABM or are they pretty much like as Walbassist's recent video threads.
Thanks.

Well I have havent seen the video threads you mention but as i have owned both, an ABM 575w Evo III and the Spyder, i do feel qualified to say the following.

I think the Dual tube aspect in the design lends the Spyder an advantage in overall quality of tone, its a thicker sound and less processed than the ABM. Do you remember the old debate about how good CD quality was versus the old vinyl records? You put a good quality vinyl record through a high cost turntable and you get clarity the CD cant touch. I think its a similar situation here. The ABM is brilliant. Its got everything on it a bassist could want, valve drive, compressor, graphic EQ, Sub Harmonics plus a load of other features. The Spyder doesnt have any of that stuff. You plug your bass in and set your simple EQ. Adjust your valve gain and volume and you have your sound. And its as creamy or dirty as you like. I like simple equipment. In my way of thinking it gets closer to the vintage valve amp sound that i like than the ABM. But the ABM has all the bells and whistles if you want that.
I hope that helps.

PS. The ABM has the VU meter on the Input side and the Spyder has it on the Output side. I found that the meter was more stable on the Spyder. Nothing to do with the sound of it but a better design in use.

Utmost respect to your playing WB but the reason for the reference was I'm after some Old Skool "Phat" tones from my next amp and your videos display the nice Honk that the Spyder has. Is it a one trick pony or is there some "mellow" tone to be found also.
Apologies for asking this on your for sale thread bud but my last "Amp Buy" was far from successful.
I wanna try and get it right this time so with that in mind...If things go to plan I might be taking this of your hands mid week, if it's still here of course.
Cheers.

Hi Gareth,
I know you cant see me but I'm hanging my head in shame as i type this. I have now watched your video, i didnt notice it was one, i thought it was a photo... :blush:
I thought it was a well explained demo but would have liked to have heard you drive it a bit harder, you almost did but backed off. I think you are in your garage so i guess it wasnt possible?
I will now go and sit in the corner for a bit facing the wall.

To be honest bud I've no call for the octave thing on the ABM nor the Compressor really.
I'm just after some Old School warmth really. I wouldn't be looking at overdriving the valve stage into distortion either as I play Soul/Motown type stuff and Blues
As you say, I'm a fan of simple too, a plug and play type guy, that's me.
I'd never really considered Ashdown up until a few weeks ago and not really heard anything of theirs (except the MiniRig at home) but like buses, I heard a couple in the space of a weekend and was very impressed with the "warmth". That's what I'm looking to find and I also like the idea of being able to change the valves to tweek it to my sound.
Anyway, I'll not clutter your thread any more and I'll do some research in the meantime.
Cheers,
Pete.
B)

Edited by kennyrodg

We have similar tastes then, i see. Theres a lot to be said for keeping it simple.
The Spyder does produce a "warmer" tone than the ABM, probably because of the dual tube preamp and would really suit that James Jamerson P Bass Motown sound.
If you would like more "technical" details, Guy Morel at Ashdown is the person to get in touch with.
I look forward to hearing from you.

Mike.

[quote name='hollowsbass' timestamp='1341683945' post='1722797']
I know you cant see me but I'm hanging my head in shame as i type this. I have now watched your video, i didnt notice it was one, i thought it was a photo... :blush:
I thought it was a well explained demo but would have liked to have heard you drive it a bit harder, you almost did but backed off. I think you are in your garage so i guess it wasnt possible?[/quote]

Haha, you do know I was only teasing... Worth noting that, try as I might, I could never get mine to go gritty

[quote name='kennyrodg' timestamp='1341682935' post='1722766']
Utmost respect to your playing WB but the reason for the reference was I'm after some Old Skool "Phat" tones from my next amp and your videos display the nice Honk that the Spyder has. Is it a one trick pony or is there some "mellow" tone to be found also.
[/quote]

I think a lot of the honk was due to the fact that it was a P bass being used. I used the amp with all my other basses and never thought it was inherently "honky".

Great amps, lovely warm core sound with a simple user interface, but actually nice and versatile.

It will. Use the rotary eq then try adding the little Mid, Bass and Bright switches to bring out those extra tones. I'm sure its all in there, you'll just have to play about for a few minutes till you get the sound you want. Also the tube gain knob makes a big difference to your tone.