Why become a member? ×

People seem to like this

subsong

well it's certainly...[i]different[/i]. You'd get comments gigging with it. What's with the tailpiece? Does the neck dive at all? What is it?

Prefer my Precision but I'm 100% Boring Old Fart.

Welcome, and I quote someone else's sig: "If you want five opinions, ask three bass players"

edit: actually, I'm becoming strangely drawn to it...really, what is it? Why the bridge/tailpiece arrangement? Why the big scroll on the headstock? How does it hang?

:)

Edited by bremen

The main bass in the picture is an Ampeg AEB-1 from about 1968. It was hard to track one down, but I did. I've had it almost 5 years now. It's an interesting bass, no magnetic pickup. It's got a system that Ampeg called the mystery pickup, which picks up vibrations through the bridge. It's not a piezo though. It was designed to emulate an upright bass sound. Ampeg actually called them horizontal basses, rather than bass guitars.

The clear one is an Ampeg Dan Armstrong bass from 1970. It's been modified by a previous owner with a different pickup and a clear scratch plate. I'm not sure what the pickup is but it's mean. I love it. There's actually a second one of these basses in my house. My wife (who also plays bass) has one too. Here's a better pic of mine:

The one with the white pickup is a 1978 Fender Music Master. I don't have a decent picture of it to hand. It's in a bit of a bad way. It needs treatment.