Why become a member? ×

Reconstructing a bass

Chris2112

hello,

this may be more appropriate for the setup and repair forum but I thought I would canvas here first as I am trying to get this done quickly.

I've received a jazz bass in the post today with the neck off. Truss rod seems to adjust from a small screw at the base of the neck.

How best would I go about reconstructing it and setting it up? I'm just putting the neck on now...

Bolt the neck on and string it up.

If there are no obvious issues to do with alignment or action (ie, if there's issues that can't be solved with a little truss rod or bridge adjustment), leave it til tomorrow and perform a proper set-up. Should be fine, no big deal!

Truckstop

Put all of the strings on before worrying about that. The tension will 'pull' the neck and will sort that out for you!

If there's still a problem after all the strings are on and tuned up, then a truss rod adjustment will be required.

Don't worry yet though, get all the strings on and then have a look.

Truckstop

I've got it all strung up. The tension has lifted the E string now and I've tuned it to concert pitch and had a quick ditty before putting it to one side. It feels like it will need a little adjustment to bring the string height up around the first few positions but other than that it's going well. I will give it a couple of days to acclimatise now before I start fiddling with it.

The bass in question is a Fender Jaco Pastorius Jazz bass so I can't imagine the setup being too hard...I hope!

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1339616371' post='1691653']
Before twiddling the truss rod, how's your bridge for height?
Now you need a capo & a credit card.
[/quote]

Gah, things are getting complex now. I have the card but no Capo. It feels to me as thougg the only issue is in the first few positions. Could this be a bridge height issue? I would have thought it was headstock angle that was causing that...

The neck seems to have settled a little today. It is actually playing very well now. It still needs a tiny bit more height at the first few positions but all the notes are coming out clean and it sounds great. New strings still need to settle down though.