Why become a member? ×

This is what happens when you find a stranger in the Alps!

plunkrock

Hey!

I recently joined talkbass and came across this site, looking forward to talking to people a bit closer to home, I was looking for advice on distortion pedals and ended up buying a fuzz pedal from someone there that cost me a fortune in delivery and import tax so I'm hoping if I'm going to have GAS so much, I'd rather spend my hard earned cash here :D

I've got a band together I'm really excited about after not playing bass for a good while, we are a three piece instrumental (at the moment) rock/sludge/stoner band (I'm not fond of these terms and am not sure if we really do fit them but closest I can get to describe!) We are currently writing some material and hoping to really get going later in the Summer.

I had an Ibanez SR300DX lying around but unfortunately after some effort to remove the paint job it's currently in bits (I will get round to finishing it sometime!) so for this band I picked up a Korean Squier Jazz bass from a local guitar shop second hand. The bass is fantastic, the neck is really nice, a bit wider than other jazzes I have played but I like that, the build quality is amazing, I took the pickguard off and the neck pickup is properly routed and there is a brass plate in the electronics cavity! I've restrung it BEAD to suit the music we are playing and stuck on a Gotoh 201 bridge to help with that. Planning to upgrade the pickups as soon as I can, either DiMarzio Model Js or EMGs, keep changing my mind...

I have no amp of my own just yet but using an Ampeg that is in the rehearsal space we hire and there are places around town to rent amps for any gigs which will have to do until money is a bit better.

Currently trying to find a distortion pedal I like, first one to really get me excited was the Aguilar Agro but ended up going down a fuzz rabbit hole looking at Fuzzrocious pedals and Rusty Boxes, ended up buying a Team Awesome Fuzz Machine off of talkbass but although it is an awesome fuzz I'm not sure it's going to work out with my band, trying it out at practice tomorrow but reckon I'll probably be punting it after that and hunting down an Agro.

Anyway, I'm going on a bit...

Hey plunkbouquet,

Welcome to BC! I'm sure you'll be an asset to the gang.

Yes, it's my impression too that the Jazz is very popular around these parts, and the Squiers are held in high regard. These people here got me gassing for a Classic Vibe Jazz (or just maybe a Fender '62 RI).

Interesting to read about your fuzz quest.

Anyway, enjoy!

Oh dear, fuzz-lust is a dangerous thing!

I've been through many in my time, favourite being a Myrtle Effects Corvid Fuzz (do a search on the forum there'll be some clips). Hope you find what you're looking for soon!

Welcome to the forum!

Alex

• 1 month later...