Why become a member? ×

How does your drummer keep the volume down?

mrtcat

[quote name='CS2' timestamp='1339177851' post='1685042']
As a general point, drummers are different and IMHO they learn to play at a certain volume and after a certain point cannot play any other way. Muscle memory?
[/quote]

I really just do not think that is true. Ok, if you played at one particular volume and got used to playing at that volume, then you may have a bit of trouble keeping it tight at other volumes. But it's all a matter of practice- if you practice playing at different volumes then you can get yourself used to playing at those volumes and you will be able to play with dynamics.

Edited by EdwardHimself

Good technique. I am thankful of this as at many gigs I've been playing more 'mood' music for the background than as a 'get up and dance' kind of band. and brushes don't fit every song!

I used to work at a hotel that used to have several wedding parties every weekend (especially during the summer), so I used to see a lot of weddig/covers bands playing there and there was absolutely nothing worse than the 'too loud' band, where the amps are cranked and the drummer was thrashing the kit like it was going out of fashion. Nothing put paying guests off faster, either.