Why become a member? ×

I want to insure my bass

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1340811738' post='1709972']
I think I'm better off putting £100 in a pot each year unless things change.
[/quote]

Approx 12k worth of gear (new values) costs me less than £100 a year currently. So unless you're not gigging then maybe not?

The thing I always wonder about is 2nd hand gear. All of my basses are 2nd hand and so is my amp, the only thing I've bought new is my cab and leads and pedals. I always wonder how you prove you owned the stuff to insurance companies if you don't have a receipt?

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1340873881' post='1710712']
Nope, never needed too. But just replacing my ACG would be over 12 years payments.
[/quote]

Optimism alone will not ensure that the insurer is going to pay you in the event of some disaster. I'd very carefully take another look at the terms and conditions if i were you.

[quote name='BottomE' timestamp='1340875073' post='1710727']
Optimism alone will not ensure that the insurer is going to pay you in the event of some disaster. I'd very carefully take another look at the terms and conditions if i were you.
[/quote]

VERY carefully have looked over them :)

My wife was a claims handler for 12 years, first and foremost you need to take some pics of all your gear, record the serial numbers and any other useful info, print them off and keep them safe. Also put any pictures of you playing the gear at gigs in too as this has the most sway of all.

Charic, Do you take all £12k of gear to each gig though? I used to have all my gear covered but as the gear got older and the premiums went up I felt more and more like it was a waste, then E&L took off the unattended vehicle cover and I decided it was a waste. I take between £3.5k-£6.5k minimum in replacement costs to every gig (a Ray 5, Genz small rig and lead bag minimum - 2 Ray 5's or 1 and the pre EB with the big Genz rig and a spare Genz head etc, I never take all three Rays out).