Why become a member? ×

markbass cabs front ported or rear?

0175westwood29

tbh i have always had 10's, and also im used to my 610, dnt wanna go down to a 210 as when ive tried 210's before they have seemed loud in the shop but ive never been confident to buy one thinking it might be a waste if everything else swamps it in a band situation. so i see a 410 as a nice smaller but still loud rig.

and also seeing as some 410's ive tried seem to put out more lows than the 15's to my ears. and ive never tried a 12 inch speaker.

andy

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1339001828' post='1682271']
As far as wattage goes... My markbass rig consists of a 500w head with one 8 ohm front ported 4x10. I have never had to turn the volume up to halfway on a gig before ;)
[/quote]

this makes me happy!

is the cab an easy lift?

andy

Find a local(ish) band that use a Markbass rig & go see them. There's bound to be someone on here not far from you with MB gear.

Another option that I would also look at for cabs is Barefaced. Alex isn't posting on here as much as he used to, but the reports I hear about his cabs speak wonders.

If I was changing my gear, I would probably go for another Markbass head & possibly a Super 12 or a Big Twin (if I had the funds too).

[quote name='0175westwood29' timestamp='1339002148' post='1682277']

this makes me happy!

is the cab an easy lift?

andy
[/quote]

I'm a bit of a weakling but I can easily lift it above my head! It's very large which can be a bit awkward, but the worst I've ever done is bounced a corner off a wall :)

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1339004448' post='1682327']
FWIW the Markbass Classic cabs look f***ing cool. Not ported though, and i haven't tried one before
[/quote]

yeh they kinda have an ampeg vibe. very nice theres a really nice 810 classic markbass cab in the for sale section that if i had the money id probably nab! sadly need to sell my 610 first tho for that to happen, or trade it for something he wants!

andy

[quote name='0175westwood29' timestamp='1339005035' post='1682340']
yeh they kinda have an ampeg vibe. very nice theres a really nice 810 classic markbass cab in the for sale section that if i had the money id probably nab! sadly need to sell my 610 first tho for that to happen, or trade it for something he wants!

andy
[/quote]

The classic in my opinion are amoeg on roids! At the nott sbass bash a guy had one at it was a killer.

I'd like that 8x10 too but so impractical for me.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1339007085' post='1682392']
The classic in my opinion are amoeg on roids! At the nott sbass bash a guy had one at it was a killer.

I'd like that 8x10 too but so impractical for me.
[/quote]

no its not for me either but im really moving my 610 on because of the pain of my skinny stairs in my house and this thing being about a third of the weight would make it much easier!

shame to see my 610 go as i love it but needs must, only prob is selling the thing now! would prefer to trade it for a mb cab but i just dnt see that happening!

andy

This is all interesting stuff ...I use a Little Mark II with an Ampeg Portabass 212 and I can recommend it as a great sound and so portable you would not believe . I have had Trace 2x15s and 4x10s and the amount of weight involved required several roadies ...

[quote name='siggi' timestamp='1339063812' post='1683006']
This is all interesting stuff ...I use a Little Mark II with an Ampeg Portabass 212 and I can recommend it as a great sound and so portable you would not believe . I have had Trace 2x15s and 4x10s and the amount of weight involved required several roadies ...
[/quote]

i used to have an lm2 about 2 yrs ago and it did sound nice through my 610, i do think ampeg cabs seem to go well with lots of heads!

im not in a manic rush to move on my 610 but the longer its stored under my dining table the more the missus will nag me!

andy

Hj westwood i know what you mean about different cabs iv got markbass ampeg peavey ashdown and loads more but i like the markbass .I play in a rock band with guitarist using more marshall cabs than you can wave a stick at and a drummer who thinks hes building the biggest shed you could imagine and iv settled for a markbass combo on its own it copes with the rest of the band but if we do big gigs i add my markbss 151 hf and the sound is unbelievable never heard many other bass players with so much bottom end i dont know whether it makes much difference rear ported or front but over the years i seem to go for the front ported but thats only my opinion.Good luck with what ever you buy cheers mate.