Why become a member? ×

Glastonbudget2012: My Overview.

Prime_BASS

My originals band played Glastonbudget yesterday!

Overall the whole experience was pretty positive, we had loads of positive feedback(even though we didn't play particulaly well!) and the crowd actually cheered for more once we were told to finish, the other stages had some nice acts and some of the other original bands were pretty awesome. I even got a small play on a EBMM classic Stingray in coral red.

I'm afriad though that's about it.

Even before hand we were let down. Being told you can have 1 day ticket free per band member for a guest was a pretty good thing, and we actually had a few people coming because of the whole group of friends thing. Well 3 weeks before hand for some reason it was announced that we won't be allowed free 1 day tickets but a free all weekend pass for us only. None of us could stay all weekend anyway due to work or other commitments so that was a bit of a let down.

Also we and they have known that we would be playing since at least Christmas but the band pages on the website have only been up for about 2 months. Which included a spelling error of "Cutthe Heroics" not a big deal, we sent an email with some logo stuff and explaining the error, with a reply that it would be sorted ASAP, and it's still spelled wrong.

We were due to play at 6:35(odd time yeah I know) but anyway they were running '5 minutes' late, which was actually 15 minutes. With an alloted 10 minutes setup, 25 minute set time and 5 minutes getting off we were still cut short during our set by atleast 8 minutes. We spent the tuesday timing our songs and set to be well under the 25 minutes anyway, but still managed to not play 2 songs not a big deal I guess, but the 2 bands before hand played for 30 minutes or more, and without being big headed, to not many people.
So that wasn't very pleasing for us.

The other bands just ignored each other, one we actually played with before at the Maze in nottingham, and totally blanked us, coupled with scowls from a far, while we all made a point to be friendly and talkative to the other bands backstage, the atmosphere was nothing like what we are normally used to at places we usually do these sort of band medley type gigs.

While the stage was pretty good, the sound was ace, after I had to EQ out of the bass amp a horrible bass boost and smiley face out of the graphic EQ, the sound on stage was pretty good compared to others we have played. Only there was barrier for the crowd that was a good 10 feet away from the front of teh stage. I would have thought it have been better to place some of teh food stalls closer to the stage aswell to try and bring in some more people.

A fair few niggles I know, but it would have only taken 5 more minutes planning to make the experience a whole lot better not just for us but for everyone playing.

also the Classic stingray.......
Don't get me wrong I like EBMM basses but this felt very much the same as the entry level Stingray that were on offer from StingsandThings. The neck looked nice the birdseye was fairly heavy, although both of teh mid 90's EBMM's were heaver and felt nicer. The stings were those gold plated things, but were dead as a dodo and needed a setup so bad, the Squier's in musicroom played nicer just because they are set up.
Watched the band play, and the sound was fairly nice, sounded like a Stingray low and behold!
Worth the massive price tag?????? The guy said 'he' paid £1500 for it secondhand, still in brand new condition. I doubt I'd be paying that much for a bass again, the Sandberg I have just felt much more solid build quality wise, and the neck on it is shaped a lot better. I would still choice one those 90's ray's over this Classic anyday.

Overall we still would like to do it again next year and better organise ourselves, get a few mates to come and stay for a day or 2.

Very similar to our experience last year. It was (mostly) fun to do and good experience, but ultimately didn't really do anything for the band other than be just another gig.

If you're a big name tribute band band playing on one of the main stages it looks like a fantastic and well organised gig. The smaller stages not so much. The stage we played was suffering from the same running late problem which wasn't helped by the band before us having a massively complicated set up and when told that the next number would be their last, promptly launched into an 8-minute prog-rock opus!

Looking at the list of organisations involved in the funding and sponsorship I can't help but have a sneaking suspicion that the originals bands are only there because at least one of the sources of funding and/or licensing requires the line up not to be all tribute and covers bands.

I guess it all depends on budget and the organisation. We make a point of not doing festivals for free as you tend to be there to make up the numbers.
Lower down the scale, this applies to beer festivals as well...
If you want 4 plus bands on then you need to budget for that and cost the event accordingly.INC band fees.
If you ( the event ) charge, then that money needs to be spent properly.
There is a local row going on here about a big name festival ( for these parts ) getting local acts to apply, then getting FB likes to justify their inclusion or some crap like that.
It isn't hard for some student bands to rack up 300-400 likes, but that doesn't garauntee any sort of standard in itself... or get those unqualified 'likes' to actually attend the gig, but there you go.
Most local bands boycott it..even tho the gig itself sounds worth doing.

All you can say is that you have tried it...didn't rate it as worth doing again, and so now you know.

I have to say, I am generally very cynical about 'free' events ...free for who..?? and we tend to say thanks, but no thanks.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1338628539' post='1677305']
Looking at the list of organisations involved in the funding and sponsorship I can't help but have a sneaking suspicion that the originals bands are only there because at least one of the sources of funding and/or licensing requires the line up not to be all tribute and covers bands.
[/quote]
Definitly 'just another gig' for us, but a good one none the less.
Despite me thinking the same, we were the only band on, on that day, that didn't play any covers........... One band after us just played covers and I thought it was the originals stage.
We were also told in lots of marketing and auditions, it was the biggest originals and unsigned festival (never heard of it until the audition) but once actually there it is the biggest Tribute act festival. BTW the Daved Bowie act was terrible, sounded like him no doubt but couldn't sing for crap.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1338644090' post='1677558']
It isn't hard for some student bands to rack up 300-400 likes, but that doesn't garauntee any sort of standard in itself... or get those unqualified 'likes' to actually attend the gig, but there you go.
[/quote]

We pretty much do anything though right now, we don't have the means or the funds to do our own EP(which is the only way to get decent gigs around here) so any gig gives us some coverage, and we have developed a big relationship with one of the main local scene soppurters so we get to pretty much pick and choose when we play. We bring some people and they get pissed, so everyone is happy.
Indeed been involved with a few 'FB like competitions' and I just don't socially network with any body apart from people far a field, so we lose out on this too.

Although a kerrang newcomer nominee asked us to support even though we came 2nd, unfortunately we couldn't do the date they bloody booked!

[quote name='jonsmith' timestamp='1338732289' post='1678551']
Barely a short 'single edit' in the world of prog, surely?
[/quote]

Everything else they had played up t this point had been 4 minutes or so long. Worked in our favour in the end because when they tried the same thing with my band we were able to negotiate for 2 songs as all ours are only 3 minutes maximum.