Why become a member? ×

Harley Benton BB210T

nelville

I'd be really interested in hearing a decent review of one of these. I'm in the market for a cheapo rehearsal cab, as lugging my 8x10 to rehearsals is a PITA, and my only other current option is to use a passive PA wedge, which I do not like at all.
There seems virtually nothing online about Harley Benton cabs at all

Not tried one, I was tempted by these a couple of years ago. What I did find out about HB stuff is that, like Behringer, they don't actually make their own stuff. THe Promethean clone has already been mentioned here and its a typical example of HB stuff. Its made by the same people who make the Promethean, just rebadged and with different circuitry (probably lower spec preamp etc.). They also have something similar to the Roland Bass Cube (old version) with slightly altered fx circuitry.

So its likely that the 210 will be very similar to something else on the market as it will be made in the same factory. What that is I don't know in this case as its not so obvious from looking at it. Like Edward said, the quality of it is probably up there but as to the efficiency of the design... Its probably based on an older design of someone elses, and that someone else has probably improved upon it for their current model.

there's no secret to making a cheap cab. Chipboard or MDF instead of ply spray or carpet rather than vinyl, cheap fittings and speakers with smaller magnets and pressed steel frames. Then save on quality control. the latter should be no problem with Thomann according to their reputation here as their aftre-sales is highly rated.

Ply actually doesn't sound as good as the other two but the cabinet is tougher if you move it around a lot and are careless.

The small magnet either means the bass will be restricted or the speaker will be a lot less efficient or the maximum excursion of the speaker will be limited. It may well sound OK at lowish volumes but will fart out at a lower sound level then a quality product.

I've no experience of Harley Benton but a lot of cheap PA stuff I've examined is unbelievably well made for the price, I couldn't buy the parts for the cost of the completed cabs.

I'd reckon that if you can live with the restrictions this stuff will do a job for you but you might do better looking for mid-range second hand. There were a pair of Peavey 2x10's went for £110 on ebay last week.

[quote name='Phil Starr' timestamp='1338632876' post='1677373']
I've no experience of Harley Benton but a lot of cheap PA stuff I've examined is unbelievably well made for the price, I couldn't buy the parts for the cost of the completed cabs.
[/quote]

+1 about this. I had a look online, no way could I make something like the 15" maplin PA speaker for £100, which is what it cost me. I do have experience of HB stuff. My first ever bass was a Harley Benton jazz clone and at the time I thought it to be pretty well put together. One of my friends who was more experienced on the bass said he thought it was pretty good to play as well, the only difference between it and something like an MIM fender being the fact that it was a bit of a bigger body.

• 5 months later...

I've just taken delivery of one of these HB 210 cabs for gigs where im leaving stuff at the venue and not worry about it. I used it for the first time on friday night with my LB30 head. I have to say it's not bad at all. Very sold construction with a sturdy metal grill. I've had a nose inside and it's made of ply. The no name speakers are fairly hefty, and appear to have similar size magnets to some celestions ive seen before. I doubt they are particularly efficient, or have much excursion - but sounded fine driven by the LB. The tweeter is not harsh, and the variable control is effective. For the price and almost disposable nature I'm considering getting another and having a vertical 4x10 stack.

I own one of these. I have no issues with build quality at all. Seems rock solid to me. Volume wise it'l not blow your face off, but I only ever use it as an extension cab, so Its all good. The tweeter is actually ok too. I normally turn tweeters off on most cabs, but this one sits about half on.

Its quite hard for me to give a good review cos even although I've owned it for months, I've only ever used it on its own once for a bout 20 minutes.

I honestly would just buy one, considering the price and if you were to sell it on, you're not gonna lose much!